Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Can I donate bone marrow?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
An infant in my community will die without a bone marrow transplant. Can I be tested as a possible donor? Or would the HCV be spread to him?
Posted on 04/10/13, 09:39 am
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hepatitis C. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/10/13  11:37am
" I don't think so, but if you are a match the parents might would sign a waiver. I know I would. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/10/13  5:46pm
" I would think not. we cannot donate organs. isn't bon emarrow blood-based?

It's one of the things i hate about having HVC - and was very dissapointed to find out that even if we're "cured" we still can't! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/10/13  5:51pm
" OK ... went to the bone marroe donation website and found that #1 you have to be between 18 and 44 and....

Hepatitis

You will be allowed to join the Be The Match Registry if you have:
Received a vaccine to prevent hepatitis
History of fully-recovered hepatitis A
Close or intimate contact with someone with active hepatitis B or C in the past year
Possible exposure to hepatitis B or C in the past year
History of jaundice due to mononucleosis or cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection

If you have the following, you cannot join the registry:
Diagnosed with hepatitis B or C
Been told you had a positive confirmatory test for hepatitis B or C
Been told you are a carrier of hepatitis B or C (also known as a “chronic” infection)
History of hepatitis or yellow jaundice (after age 10) without a known cause

http://marrow.org/Join/Medical_Guid... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/10/13  7:55pm
" Yeah, even SVR folks can't donate blood. And surprisingly my wife was not allowed to donate because at the time I had "the virus" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/10/13  11:21pm
" I don't know about bone marrow but the local transplant center can tell you.

I know for a fact that HCV patients can donate one organ though. You can donate a kidney to a HCV+ recipient with kidney failure. I've seen it done many times. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/11/13  8:31am
" Ernie,

Do the donor and recipient have to have the same genotype? Otherwise, the recipient would have two strains of HCV...

I did not know a kidney could be donated from a HCV+ person. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/11/13  9:24am
" Thanks for the info, guys. That sucks, but since I'm too old anyway (I hadn't known that) at least I won't have to decline because of the HCV. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/11/13  12:34pm
" That I'm not certain about. Most times the HCV+ kidney comes from a deceased donor but I bet it could be done live. This subject comes up from time to time regarding being an organ donor after brain death and filling out those cards. Many patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) are HCV+ though and they get cadaveric HCV+ kidneys all of the time.

Also, can one have 2 strains or is that super rare like with HIV? Usually one dominates, and with HIV, I believe it's the first one. There have been _very few_ cases of having 2 strains and the medical community blew that way out of proportion but came clean on it later. They also did years later regarding the ability to transmit the virus to others if you are undetectable and on meds. That is also very unlikely but some are not as adherent as others to their regimens and we can't always believe what people say obviously. There were political, judgmental and community health protective reasons for their slow message to the public though. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/11/13  4:03pm
" Question: if one donates plasma, do blood banks check for HCV? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/11/13  4:09pm
" I googled my question and found yes as the answer. Duh!
Now, I'm most certain my daughter is clear. And that's great news! :) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web