Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Triglycerides and Cholesterol
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Background, 40 weeks of triple with Vic, got SVR status 10 days ago

I went for a regular blood test a few days ago, and for the first time ever my triglycerides (TG) are high. Two years ago, before any treatment it was 50. Last year during treatment it was 121 (still normal), now it's 189 (high). Cholesterol didn't change

A little research and I find out that high TG are linked to weight and lack of exercise and that could certainly explain the increase. But when i read further it said that Protease Inhibitors (and that's what Victrelis and Incivek are) also raise TG and cholesterol

Anyone else seeming any changes in these tests

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/conte...

joe
Posted on 10/07/12, 08:21 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hepatitis C. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/07/12  8:33pm
" Mine were stellar before treatment but elevated after SOC. I think it's mostly due to the joint problems cause by Interferon and the effect the reduction of activity has had on my metabolism. That's just my unscientific feeling on it "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/07/12  8:34pm
" http://www.joybauer.com/high-trigly...

Re: foods to lower tg. I should ask to get my cholesterol checked next time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/07/12  8:46pm
" from what i can tell triglycerides are fatty thingies that are formed when your body takes in more fat than it can consume. the process is supposed to be that when your body needs more fat, it uses the TG as a source of it. If you never do anything, like exercise, or you eat way too much fat, the TG level goes up and the body never draws it down

Now, name a group of people that might eat a lot of fat, and not do a lot of movement?

hummm "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/07/12  8:56pm
" Ummm...taking a shot in the dark here joe- Americans? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/07/12  9:04pm
" Kat, good answer, but I was thinking of people on treatment

I like your answer, it made me laugh "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/07/12  9:18pm
" Yes Joe that is what I was thinking. I used to bike, in line skate, hike, gym 3 times a week and physical work full time until SOC in 2010. Now I still E-bike, hobble and gym has become a real challenge. Work is reduced to half load. No just were am I supposed to get rid of the calories? I eat healthy but have a good appetite and have given up so much other pleasures in life.
I have reassessed my fat intake and have cut back on that and it has helped. Problem is one's body converts any "energy" to fat if it is not used right away.
I wish my bank was so efficient with my money ...lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/07/12  10:21pm
" HCV jerks them around, too. I've always had low "bad" cholesterol till Dragon started wreaking havoc. Noticed my "good" going down and the "bad" going up.
Always a BMI under 21, active, good diet. Its the freakin' virus. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/07/12  10:45pm
" >chronic HCV infection may not only alter lipid metabolism, but also affect insulin resistance..<
Good article @
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...

Hepatitis C Virus Infection, Lipids, and Coronary Heart Disease: a Pandora’s Box "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web