Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
OT - West Niles Virus
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Apparently this has become a very real threat here in Texas.

How do you contract the West Nile virus?

The most important way people become infected is through the bite of an infected mosquito.

Who has the highest risk of becoming infected?

People over age 50 and people who have ever received a solid organ transplant are more likely to develop serious symptoms. They should take special care to avoid mosquito bites.

Protect Yourself:

· When outdoors, use insect repellent containing an EPA-registered active ingredient, such as DEET.

· Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants at these times or consider staying indoors during these hours.

· Make sure you have good screens on your windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.

· Get rid of mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets and barrels. Change the water in pet dishes and replace the water in bird baths weekly. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children's wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren't being used.

What happens if I get infected?

Most people who get infected with West Nile virus do not have any symptoms. There is no specific treatment for West Nile virus infection. There is no vaccine available.

Some people who become infected have the following symptoms:

· Fever

· Headache

· body aches

· Nausea

· Vomiting

· swollen lymph glands

· skin rash on the chest, stomach and back

Symptoms can last for a few days to several weeks. Call your health care provider if you have questions about your symptoms.

A small number of people (about 1 in 150) who get infected with West Nile virus develop sever disease, called West Nile encephalitis or West Nile meningitis (inflammation of the brain or the area around the brain). Symptoms of severe illness include headache, high fever, stiff neck, mental confusion, muscle weakness, tremors, convulsions, coma and paralysis. These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent. See your health care provider if you develop these symptoms.

For more information visit www.cdc.gov/westnile or call 800-CDC-INFO (232-4636)
Posted on 08/13/12, 10:31 am
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hepatitis C. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/13/12  10:54am
" Thanks for posting, Sandy. Great info!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/13/12  11:04am
" Yes, here on the eastern seaboard its horrible....seems like every mosquito they catch at the research center has west nile...after all the rain, my backyard is infested with them. I use that Off little machine you hook to your belt and it helps an awful lot! Using those deet products on your skin is not good...if you do use them rub on the clothes....remember skin is an organ and it absorbs toxins...I want everybody to have a wonderful end of summer without adding this stupid virus to the mix. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/13/12  12:03pm
" Yes it is bad here in the East. Part of the problem is "WNS", a disease that has killed millions of bats which are the primary predator of mosquitoes "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web