Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Starting Ribavarin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm going to be starting treatment with Pegasys and Ribavirin on Sept, 17, 07. I was wondering do I take ribavirin on the day that I will do my first shot? I've never done this and I don't want to mess this up. Do I do the shot at night and then take the co-pegasys (ribavirin) the next day?
Posted on 09/04/07, 11:11 pm
10 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hepatitis C. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/04/07  11:43pm
" Well my sister, During all 3 of my TX's I did my shot and took Ribaviron at night then in the morning. I dont know how many pills they told you to take while you or on TX, My first time 3/pills at night/3/pills in the morn. On my last TX it was 4pills at night 3 in the morn. Just make sure your doctor tell ya everything!!! Hope it goes pain free for you!!!!!!!!! L&R's John "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/05/07  12:01am
" Thanks Tattman! I'm supposed to take 3 pills in the morning and 2 pills at night. I just don't know if I should do both on the same day! I play phone tag with my doctor, since I travel 3 hours away to see her! But, I will call her just to make sure! And, Thanks again! L&R's Kristin~ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/05/07  8:49am
" Hi Angel
I take the shot on Friday night and also take 3 pills in the am, and 3 pills in the pm every day. You will be in my prayers "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/05/07  9:58am
" Angel,

I took my first dose of Riba the morning of my first shot before I went to work. When I got home from work (Fridays) I took my shot and my 2nd dose of Riba.

At the end of treatment I continued my Riba for a week after the last shot.

Mouse
Genotype 1a, Stage 3, Grade 3
Finished 48 weeks of tx on 4/13/07
Hoping for SVR on 9/20/07 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/05/07  11:23am
" Good luck starting tx its worth it. I try to do my meds according to my schedule.I do my shots on my days off it possible. I was on 2 riba in the am and 3 at nite for 6 mos. then they decreased my dose to 600. 2 am 1 pm. I was getting x anemic. I think my GI may increase again. If you can try to eat and drink a lot of water with thse pills it helps. Keep in touch this site helps a great deal when your on tx. My thoughts are with you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/05/07  12:21pm
" Are you doing your first shot by yourself? Are you not going to the doctor for your first part of treatment? My doctor refused to treat me if I did the first part by myself. I just started last friday. I went to my doctors office with a small cooler for the shots (they have to be room temp for about 30mins before the shot anytime you do it), the kit for treatment (which the doctor had given me on the last 2 visits (it had pregnacy test, pamplets, videos on how to give yourself the shot, info about the virus, a journal, a 24-7 nurse line,alcohol wipes, and the orange hazard box for the needles, the kit is free and you can call to get more).

I took the treatment on a friday b/c that is the only way she does this. I was told to take the shot in the evening but since I had to see her at lunch, I was able to take the pills too. I sure that you could take the first pill in the morning, do the shot in the evening, take the last pill with dinner. EAT WITH THE PILLS if you can. They kill my stomach. You are taking the same meds as me. I would call your doctor and ask him about your first day of this. I really think you should take it first with the doctor b/c it is hands on.

The phone number for the free kit is
1-877-734-2797 this is also the number for the 24-7 nurse. When you call press prompt 1 to speak to an operator. Also go to www.pegassist.com when you sign up you have a nurse assigned to you that you can call at anytime. They call you and get you loaded into the system and ask you a few questions to verify some info. With in the week a nurse calls you. The web site is very helpful. You get this also in your kit. You fill out the info and mail it in for free.

Hope this helps and I am praying for you. You are on the right road! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/05/07  12:30pm
" Hey sister. I started my pills on the same day as my first shot. I take two (400mg) in the morning and two at nigh for a total of 800 mg. I do my shot on Sunday evening because as a minister my most demanding time is the weekend. As others have indicated here, do your shot when you have a couple of days that you can take it easy and relax. With me the sides of the shot seem to be most severe during those two days. Also, I take two extra strength Tylenol about an hour before my shot which helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/05/07  12:38pm
" I did my shots on my own from the start. I had to attend two mandatory classes before beginning treatment. The first covered Hep C from A to Z. The second was to learn how to administor the shot. My wife Vickey attnded both with me.

Absolutely eat before taking the pills. They are extremely hard on an empty stomach. I always time it so I have eaten a full meal no more the an hour or so before my pills.

The kit that angelblueeyes mentions is invaluable. My doctor gave me one too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/05/07  10:46pm
" Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement! I really need it. I'm just so scared that I'm going to mess this up. I don't know what I would do without the support of people like you on this site, since no one in my family knows; except my mom. But, thanks for your input! Big Hugs, Kristin~ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/19/07  9:44am
" Hi AngelEyez3. The nurse will probably do your first injection with you. My advice is take it as late in the day as you can, so you can go home to bed and sleep through it. Most people get the flu=like symptons first injection (see my journal entry for more details). You usually take your first dose of Ribavirin that evening. I wich you the very best of luck with it. Stick with it if you can. SuperSi. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web