Husband has stage 3 hepaptitis c
I am new here. I really feel that I need some support, as my husband was just diagnosed with type 1 stage 3 hepatitis c. The prognosis wasn't good from the doctor. He said type 1 is the hardest to treat, and with my husband being at a stage 3 already, I am really concerned for him. Is there anybody out there with a similar experience? What kind of diet should he be eating, and what can we expect from interfuron? Are there any herbs that he can take even with the interfuron treatments? I know everybody is different as far as side effects. The dr said the more advanced you are in this disease, the harder the side effects will be. My husband is the sole provider for our family, and we have 4 children under the age of 9.
Posted on 02/25/11, 04:54 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hepatitis C. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 02/25/11  6:08pm
" I am beginning treatment in a couple weeks. I am also advanced in stage but no symtoms. My doctor just told me to eat healthy and did not say what not to eat. Try to have positive thinking and take one day at a time. It won't all happen overnight. I was diagnosed in Aug 2010
and just getting ready to begin my 48 week treatment. It is a lot to take in. Just try to relax and get educated. There are a lot of wonderful people here on DS with a lot of experience. "
Reply #2 - 02/25/11  6:27pm
" im stage 3 fibrosis. i was recently told that in the absense of booze i could remain at this stage for many years. my nurse has several times told me that hepc probably would not shorten my life span. shes also told me that a fellow can limp dick along for fifteen years or so after scirhosis is evident. face it. shes a fed with the va, right winger, church lady, shed have loved to have given me more morbid news. better meds are coming along constantly and rapidly, little c. im 52, had hepc for 30 yrs, failed every tx i could get my fingers on, and totally plan to tx again.. i will die when i GD SAY so.. ( this is the required attitude ) "
Reply #3 - 02/25/11  6:30pm
" Little, blood work will tell you how much of the virus in your husbands system. A biopsy will tell what actual damage is there. I had one in December and have cirrohsis and necrosis, so I started tx yesterday. I am grade 2 stage 4. It is different for everyone. I would make sure you do your research and write down any questions you may have. Don't listen to anyone who doesn't have a clue. The liver can reproduce itself of some damage not all. Tx will allow that to happen. Ask questions and be informed. No question is dumb. Welcome to DS, glad that you found us. "
Reply #4 - 02/25/11  6:43pm
" @ Misskaren and Angels...Thank you so much. We have known about his hepatitis for 7 years now. His biopsy results was the hard part. He is stage 3 grade 3. He thinks he has had it for about 20 years.. I really wish we would have dealt with this sooner. We both really believed that it wouldn't be as advanced as it is. It's very hard for me. We have 4 small children. He is the sole provider for our family. I cannot afford daycare for 4 children, and still try to support us. I am trying to stay positive. I have my moments though. And @ capnhardass....I will totally try to have your required attitude. *smiles* I really am hoping for a good outcome. "
Reply #5 - 02/25/11  7:16pm
" You've come to the right place for support for you and your husband. As far as diet, stay away from fast foods, anything processed, alcohol, and try to eat more fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats. Milk Thistle is a good supplement to take for the liver now...as far as on tx, ask what he suggests. Some say it's ok, others say don't. Don't take iron supplements, make sure if he takes a multi-vitamin that it doesn't have iron in it. There is another group here on DS for Complementary and Alternative Medicine for hep c that has good info on diet, supplements, etc.

As far as sx being worse, the more advanced you are...I haven't heard that. Everyone reacts differently, and it seems there have been some in early stages that couldn't tolerate tx and others more advanced who did just fine. Geno 1a is the most difficult to treat, but there are new drugs that are being added to the tx in a few months that raise the success rates for geno 1's. Keep reading here and educate yourself about hep c. Here's a link to a good support manual for family and friends of people with hep c. This site, hcvadvocate.org, has alot of good info on many different topics regarding hep c. Good Luck!

http://hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/fa... "
Reply #6 - 02/25/11  8:17pm
" I am sorry that he is in an advanced stage and and that you are so worried. Learn, get all the info from tests. If Tx is recomended for him, do it. Hold his hand through the sides, remember he loves you and needs you. He can do it and so can you. "