Anal stenosis treatments
I suffer this from a hemorrhoidectomy in 2002. It is so frustrating. Anybody else out there got it? I feel so alone. And it's not easy to talk about.
Thanks!
Posted on 07/19/07, 02:32 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hemorrhoids. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 07/20/07  11:11am
" What is anal stenosis? I suffer from many anal issues also and can't seem to find relief! "
Reply #2 - 07/20/07  11:29am
" I developed mild anal stenosis following a hemorrhoidectomy in January. From what I understand now it's commom with hemorrhoid surgery. As as result of this and constipation from Vicodin post-surgery I also developed an anal fissure that won't heal. None of the creams work and I won't have any more surgery. I feel like I made a huge mistake having the hemorrhoidectomy to begin with. I never had all these other problems before the surgery. "
Reply #3 - 07/21/07  8:11am
" So, if nothing works for the fissures, do you just suffer with the pain and bleeding everyday? Seems to be what I'm doing and I never had any surgery for hemmorhoids or fissures. The doctor says there is a surgery for fissures if they're bad enough. Ever heard of it? He says mine could be much worse so I just deal with it. Really tired of this all! "
Reply #4 - 07/21/07  2:50pm
" The surgical treatment for fissure involves cutting the sphincter muscle to allow for a bigger opening which in turn allows the fissure to heal, however there is a chance of incontinence with this, so I said no to surgery. However, I just had botox injected into my sphincter muscle on wednesday. The theory is that the botox temporarily relaxes the sphincter allowing the fissure to heal and then once the botox wears off in a few months, the sphincter tightens up again to its normal diameter. They do have to twighlight you for the botox procedure, so you are out completely. Doctors told me the surgery is around 95% successful in healing the fissure while the botox is around 75% successful. Most patients opt for the botox which I did. The great thing is that I had the procedure on Wed. They gave me 2 weeks of pain meds and I haven't used one. No pain at all. I feel great. So hopefully it will work, but if it doesn't at least I'm not laid up again for a month in pain. "
Reply #5 - 07/23/07  10:19am
" You guys are great, talking with me like this! I've been so alone before now. I too suffer IBS but have it under control most the time. My troubles are more rectal than bowel related. I am trying to live without doctors, and I think I'm doing very well. I just get SO FRUSTRATED that I'm not normal. I have lots of tips to stay healthy, though it' difficult to maintain it on a constant basis. It's really a total lifestyle change. I've shared these tips all over my page and this community. If you have specific needs message me and I'll share again or more if I can.

I think I have a unique problem that causes most of my flair ups. I'll try to explain it to you.
We have a muscle (or group of muscles) that pushes the bowel to the rectum for expulsion. In my case, that muscle sits on my rectum, pushing nothing for days on end. It is so worrisome at first, feeling I have to go when I don't. Then it becomes painful, creating hemorrhoids, breaking my fissure open. I have found no way to deal with this muscle defect. I can only deal with it's resulting problems. And I refuse to see a doctor anymore. They had their chance, and look what they did to me.

Now hearing about your botox, plumfun, I wonder if a doctor could help. I have to think about it! "
Reply #6 - 07/23/07  11:02am
" This is so helpful to me - all the info. Just when I think my fissures are a little better, they start to bleed again. It just freaks me out! Of course I just went to the doctor last Thursday and he said things looked better, and one day later it was really bad again. Does anyone else have bleeding fissures? I don't know who else to ask. He did mention that surgery but wasn't anxious to do it unless absolutely necessary. If this keeps up, I don't know what I'll end up doing. Do you ever get over this? Interesting comment about the Botox. Wish I would have known that when I went to the doctor last week. It really helps to talk to others about this personal stuff! I also suffer from bouts of IBS! "
Reply #7 - 08/08/07  9:40pm
" I have been in a vicious circle of routines that have actually paid off. I've been trying everything to get releif from the constipation, bleeding fissure and pain that happens when I go. My sister had a hemorrhoidectomy and I will really try anything to keep from going thru what she did and it really didn't work that well. So I've worked out a routine of trial and error that now seems to be working for me. LindyLee I understand what you are describing because I've been going thru this too. I've just recently in the last 2 weeks found a great deal of relief from being able to control my muscles to the point that I don't have as much pain and bleeding as I use to when I go. At least it's been working for the last two to three weeks. When I have that feeling I have to go because of the hemorrhoid being inflammed, I have to take an anti-diarreal medication to literally calm down the muscles that push it forward. This can and will cause a whole set of problems if no relief happens in a few days. But at least there is some time to heal, if you will. During this 2 to 3 day period I do take stool softners (not laxatives, because I don't want to go) but when I do go I don't find it as painful. In some cases I will get impacted at the opening which causes the bleeding. I use glycerin suppositories to soften the process. Sometimes it takes more than one, but it seems to be working for me. I've had the most relief these past few weeks, I've ever had. I eat lots of fiber and fruit also lots of water. It's all I can do, I'm not going for surgery unless I just have too. "