Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Question
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
New to this site and wanted to see if I could get some input. I went to the Dr. and was told I had abcessed tonsils. Since it was time for my yearly blood work, he ordered it and i had it done that day. Went back to the Dr. 3 weeks later and he said everything was good except my liver enzymes were elevated, which they never have been before. He ordered more blood work and I went back the following week. AST was down to 42 & ALT was down to 74 but he was concerned because my ferritin was 830. He sent me to a GI doc and who is having me geneticaly tested for hemochromatosis, never heard of it brfore then. My question would be, if anyone knows, wouldn't the abcess tonsil infection result in these kind of test numbers? Just hoping these tests were a fluke and not hemo.
Posted on 09/21/11, 02:10 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hemochromatosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/21/11  9:47pm
" i do believe that the numbers could be higher than normal due to the infection. its good that you had the genetic test, this is a very good test and will tell your if you have hh or not. if it shows up that u dont have the genes, then i would follow up with more lab work and see if the numbers come down. one thing to remember about the genetic test. in the u.s. they only identify a few genes, in other countries, there gene pool lists more. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/25/11  12:16am
" The 830 is still extremely high ,good that you are being tested ,good luck ,queenie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/25/11  11:25am
" Zwack, do you regularly consume alcoholic beverages..if so how much? I used to consume alcohol on a regular basis (not an everyday drinker) but heavy consumption on weekends and on special occasions.and Although I tested positive for HH, my ferritin level was 5012 when I was diagnosed (Aug 2010) and my AST 169 and ALT 229. I was told that alcohol consumption had a big part to do with the extremely high numbers.

After one year of phlebotomy treatments and absolutely ZERO alcohol consumption my ferritin level is 423 and my AST 11 and ALT 34.

I agree with Queenie, 830 is a little high and I wish you the best of luck on your results. Keep us updated. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/25/11  10:08pm
" Thanks for the replies and yes I did drink alcohol on a daily basis(have not drank anything for a month now), about 6 lite beers. Another question, how long does it usually take to get the results of the genetic test back thru a hospital lab? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/25/11  11:56pm
" I just looked through my files and it was exactly 44 days from the time they drew my blood until the time I got the results. By the date stamp on the labwork tho, I should have gotten them sooner, probably within 3 weeks, the delay seems to have come from my Dr's office (no surprise)..Your decrease in alcohol will definitely help your numbers come down, fingers crossed for good news for you!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/26/11  10:52pm
" the time depends on the labs they are all different. I had mine done at 1 hospital and my daughter at another mine took 1 week hers took a month and a half I don't know why it takes so long maybe 1 hospital had to send it out to have the test done. not sure "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/29/11  7:44am
" Just received the results of my testing and they were negative for c228y and hetero for h63d. Ultrasound showed fatty liver with inflammation. Doctor is thinking nash, will need a biopsy to verify. Thanks for your input. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web