Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Disability
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Well I got good news today. After three years of fighting for my ss disability I finally received approval. This was all before the HH, which is a new diagnoses. My husband thought I would be a little more excited than I was, but it is kind of hard to be, it doesn't take away any of my symptoms. Don't get me wrong it is going to help out financially.

I find HH overwhelming, it seems to affect every part of your body. Does anyone get a metallic taste in their mouth? A strange headache that kind of makes you feel like your brain is sizzling? I realize I have a lot to learn, but as fuzzy as my brain is I haven't learned too much. I am taking it one day at a time and appreciate this group. It is so nice to know I am not in this alone. Thanks for all of your wonderful input.
Posted on 03/31/11, 11:57 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hemochromatosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/01/11  12:47am
" Good to hear, hope it makes things a little easier for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/01/11  2:30am
" sanj,

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! Sorry u had to wait 3 yrs!

as far as those symptoms: nope, just some brain fog and some days are worse than others. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/01/11  8:57am
" Hi Yall,
Congratulations Sandi, That brain fog is something. I think I'm feeling better and then all at once I feel like I've had to much to drink. I want to drive but not sure about it. zzzdj is really being nice. She has given me a lot of direction about my case. I've been getting records and keeping notes. Tell me why it took so long to get your disability. Keep in touch. I may need some info for my case. God Bless You.
Mike "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/01/11  1:01pm
" Sandi, I am go glad that you finally got some GOOD news! I think that I can say that we all are overwhelmed when we find out about HH. I was diagnosed 4 months ago. Sometimes I don't think about it at all and sometimes in comsumes my day. I have gotten metallic tastes in my mouth for years. It doesn't happen frequently, but I do get it. It's almost like you are sucking on a penny or something. I don't get the weird headache either, but my brain feels almost physically "heavy" much of the time. I wonder though if that is just because I never get a complete nights sleep. Well, it is what it is. I guess you just deal with it. Again, congrats on the disability. I hope you get it retroactive for the 3 years! Have a great day! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/01/11  1:25pm
" wild... UNFORTUNATELY, soc sec is only allowed to go one year retroactive from the date of application.

for instance, I applied for ss disability June 2010. After they reviewed all my info, the determination was made in October 2010. NOW the weird part was they decided that my disability actually began in June 2008. (I was still working and stopped working end of Oct. 2008)

The retro pay went back to June 2009 (one yr before I applied).
Crazy how the system works sometimes......

zzzdj "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/01/11  9:30pm
" I am so happy for you sandi ,my situation is the opposite ,hh and the brain fog and fatigue got me in a situation to apply but now I have serious neck and back issues that make hh look like nothing ,not to forget the pct , docs have my head spinning ,today I was told to wear neck brace the rest of my life and hang upside down everyday on one of them eliptical things ,my brain is fried now . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/01/11  9:42pm
" Wow Queenie that is not good news. I do hope you start feeling better. It is so sad that there are people that get disability right away and others have to wait forever. Don't give up on fighting for your diability. That is what they want. I finally had to get an attorney.

Everybody thank you for your support. The metallic taste does come and go. I guess I need to check on the headaches. I have been sp tired lately I barely get out of bed. Everything is such an effort. I am fortunate to have a husband who works full time , comes home and cleans, and is painting the house. I hate sitting there watching him. Actually not really, I am very spoiled. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/01/11  11:30pm
" Queenie,
Sorry you are having a hard time! Have you asked a friend or family member to help you with your soc sec paperwork? Have you received a determination, yet? If you haven;t. call the worker and tell them you have additional Dr's names and medical documentation for them to consider. If you have and need to make an appeal, ask someone to help you with the additional medical information so that you can file the appeal. If at that point, a determination is made in your favor... your retro pay will go back 1 yr from the date of your application. I think there is a specific timeframe to file an appeal or start over with a new application process.
Looking back, I'm happy with the person/persons who requested my medical records from all my dr's, reviewed the info and made the quick determination. My brain fog/forgetfulness is worse than before. I have to keep lists, make notes, save info on the computer, use a day planner for appointments (also use it for notes for names of people I talk to & re: what) , but we do what we gotta do to get by. Hope u feel better as the days get warmer & brighter. Enjoy the beach or at least enjoy the view! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/01/11  11:32pm
" sandi,,,
What is REALLY sad are the fraudulent people who abuse the system. Recently on TV, somebody did an undercover report showing people, that receive soc sec disability who were actually videotaped under surveilance, WORKING. Many of them had full-time jobs (one woman was a FT walking postal carrier, etc..) I don't remember if the report said these people were reported or if the government does their own checking to followup on receipients. I don't remember if anybody went to prison for fraud but some of them had to payback the money (and some were in the THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of dollars)!
zzzzzzzzzzzzz "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/04/11  7:20am
" My HH is not bad enough to Apply for disability but my back is a different story like Queenie I have a bad back that doesn't allow me to sit longer than 20 minutes every few hours and when I stand and walk my back burns I have to lay down.. I have 5 herniated discs, 1 of them is pinching my nerve and I also have a tear in one.. but I don't qualify for surgery yet..LOL apparently their just gonna keep giving me blocks until it gets "really" bad ..anyways for that I would qualify but disability here sucks bad they give you like 700 bucks or less per month "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web