Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Soc Sec Disability- a VERY LONG read!
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
OK, I've been asked a couple of times re: disability so here goes... Get ready it's L-O-N-G! If you aren't interested, look away!

HH group on daily strength..

Copy and paste this into a “word” document, delete my personal notes, then re-save it. Print it for your files. Social security disability (SSDI) can appear to be a long & drawn out process. Most people CAN do it themselves without having to hire an attorney to do the paperwork (plus, they take a percentage of any money you are awarded... this can be a big chunk if you are awarded backpay). They can only pay backpay for the 12 months prior to the application date. My decision came months after I applied (June-October 2010). It was granted dating back 2 yrs prior to me applying (back to June 2008) and that was 4 months before I actually stopped working (which was October 2008!!! The hemochromatosis was only diagnosed one month before I applied (June 2010)!!
Soooo, I got retropay from June 2009-June2010, all in one check!

IF you need to file an appeal, read the info & decide IF you need someone (an attorney) to help you.

You will want to start a file for Social security disability. Put any of your handwritten notes, a copy of any printouts which you submitted to them online and the names plus dates of anyone you talk to. If you "save" it to your computer, you might also want to copy & paste the info, after you complete it, print it out & then "file" it in your folder.

Be sure to make notes for any of YOUR symptoms which you see on any the lists below, plus any other symptoms because you will need to be VERY THOROUGH & SPECIFIC when applying! Cover all your bases, think back to all Dr's you have seen (with their current address-
I included the fax #, too) and why you saw each of them (maybe a GI or hemotologist for your hemochromatosis... maybe a hepatologist/GI/hemotologist for Hepatitis, maybe a psychiatrist etc..) You won’t need to quote anything specific that you found on the social sec website. Just describe your symptoms. Get copies of medical records from doctors, hospitals, diagnostic centers, etc . Keep a copy for your files! Provide the info when they ask because it will help to speed things up. They won’t pay for any copies of x-rays, MRI’s, doctors charges, etc.. In Kentucky, we are allowed one copy p/year, without charge.

You will want to read the info on this link regarding livers:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disab...
scroll down to 5.0 D “How do we evaluate for chronic liver disease”

another for diabetes:
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profe...

another for cardiovascular problems:

another for peripheral neuropathies, seizures, & epilepsy... neurological problems..

another for Musculoskeletal symptoms:

another for mental considerations:

another for immune systems (which includes FATIGUE):
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disab...

You can search the social security “bluebook” by typing a word in the search box which is on the left side of the page of the “bluebook” references listed above.

No, I didn’t feel guilty about applying for disability. I’m 7 yrs from the normal retirement age of 62 (MAN… I’M GETTING OLD!!!) I have been paying into my social security since I was 15 yrs old. Not to mention, I’d REALLY be broke if I didn’t have anything coming in since I had no paycheck. You can’t get SSI if you have access to any money.. IRA’s, savings, investments, etc…

I can’t imagine that I’ve left anything out.. but if I did, just ask. I may have saved that info, too!

You can apply for disability online at http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

Good Luck
Posted on 03/25/11, 03:32 am
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hemochromatosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/25/11  9:03am
" ZZZZ YOU HAVE NO REASON TO BE ASHAMED OF ASKING FOR WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY EARNED. I APPLIED WHEN I FIRST BECAME "HANDICAPPED", GOT DENIED OF COURSE. BUT I GOT LUCKY AND GOT A JOB I COULD HANDLE/PART TIME. SO I DIDN'T NEED IT. FOR NOW. MY NEIGHBOR WAS A FALL DOWN DRUNK/IV DRUG USER , NEVER PAID INTO IT, ASKED ME TO WRITE A LETTER TOO SSI SAYING HOW SHE COULDN'T WORK, LIFE WAS JUST TOO DEPRESSING. I WOULDN'T WRITE THE LETTER. SHE WAS PERFECTLY ABLE TO WORK. JUST DIDN'T WANT TO!
NO ZZ THAT IS WHAT IS THERE FOR... EVEN THE DISABLED LIKE TO EAT ONCE AND A WHILE..
MAN YOU COME UP WITH SUCH GREAT INFO. THANKS.
AND IF YOU ARE GETTING OLD, HOW OLD WOULD THAT MAKE ME? APES AGE DIFFERENTLY THAN HUMAN FEMALES!!! MUCH SLOWER I HOPE. I AM TRYING TO WAIT FOR MY WIFE TO CATCH UP TO ME..HA HA SHE REFUSES!!??
HOWEVER I AM NOT TOTALLY CONVINCED YOU ARE HUMAN. YOU SEEM TO HAVE A VAST AMOUNT OF KNOWLEDGE AT YOUR FINGER TIPS!!?? VERY SUSPICIOUS... AND YOU DO PUT COFFEE IN SOUP? HHMMMMM? THANKS AGAIN D. JOY JOY "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/25/11  9:13pm
" YR, unfortunately, when I worked on a psych unit 25 yrs ago, we saw patients all the time trying to get disability. It is a large University Hospital with many, many patient visits and a trauma center. Most/many were totally capable to work and function in general. BUT, they knew "the system". They knew or were told, that if they pretended to be depressed for 2 years they could get SSDI. People in the unit would tell them they should say they were going to hurt themselves (or actually do a little cutting on their arms) and that would help their case!
CRAZY way to live when you could be productive and make more money by working, and usually with nice benefits, too! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/28/11  2:06pm
" Hi yall,
Been working on my records. You may have heard me say earlier, this is a job. I may as well go back to work. I'm going to try to get some copies of my records from my Oncologist who does my phlebs.Hope that they are cheaper than my gp, 50 cent a page. Maybe my gp will work with me. I'll see her again wed. I'm anxious to see how my ferritin level is doing. I'm driving, but sometimes I feel unsafe with this brain fog. Been having to lie down, being so dizzy sometimes. Thanks for all your help. God Bless. Mike "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/28/11  7:39pm
" Mike, be sure to make that statement to your oncologist. Since it does concern you, it could also help with the soc sec decision.

Ask your hemo if HE can request all of your records from the other doc. Tell him you want to start a personal file of your records, partiallly due to the brain fog and forgetfulness (if thats a problem for you, it is for me). Good luck!
zzzzzzzzzzzz "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/01/11  9:41pm
" You want to hear the whacked part of my case ..........I only applied for temporary disability and was denied ,(phelbs every 10 days for a year ,severe brain fog and fatigue) .Now that I have been deironed more severe issues have occurred , going for the full monty now !!! Worked all my life......and just needed a lil extra help I payed into ...... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/01/11  9:51pm
" ZZZ thanks for all your info. ,ss disability seems to turn into silence here when I use to ask questions back in 2009 .When your brain is in severe brain fog mode these resourses are very nice to have ,keep ummm commin !!!! Queenie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/02/11  6:08am
" U R most welcome Queenie.... It is still so fresh in my mind (plus all the "saved" websites) And... knowing what was involved, I just wanted everybody else to know so they could also apply, IF they needed to.

You should consider re-applying!! Another GOOD thing about getting approved, is that after 2 yrs, you get Medicare (for anyone needing insurance). I have good insurance thru my husbands employer BUT b/c I do, I didn't have to take (or pay) for Part B, which is the Dr's coverage part of it. Mine starts in June 1st. Not sure why it starts June 1, 2011 because they determined, by my medical records, that my disability actually started June 2008 (even though I applied June 2010).Mayyyyyyyyyybeeeee, since they can ONLY go back 1 yr from the date u apply, which would make it June2009, jump forward 2yr.......June2011. Yesh, maybe that's it.
Good Luck... try again.. Yes, we paid into it & many of us would be very close to getting soc sec anyway!

:)
D "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/07/13  12:33am
" Thank you again for this post. Adding my reply to see how many others have gotten SSDI in our group. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/11/13  10:51am
" I also applied for SSD because I could no longer work.I was lucky It was 5 months that I was approved.I wish I could continue to work but employers do not want someone that does not know from day to day how they are going to feel HH is awful. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/05/13  4:32pm
" Glad yours came thru quickly, too, hickery! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web