Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Stress and HPV
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was told a week ago that my last pap smear detected HPV. I don't have warts. At least, I haven't had any yet and my partner hasn't had any, so I'm assuming (and praying) that I have a type that doesn't cause warts. Anyway, the real reason for this post is this: I read the other day that in most women, HPV never causes any health problems, but that stress can actually cause it to rear its ugly head. And that you could have been exposed to it years before it is ever actually found. That's almost a breath of fresh air to me. I knew you could have it for years before it showing up and that it doesn't always cause health problems in women and almost never in men(unless you have genital warts), but I did not know that an increase of stress could cause it to show up. That makes a lot of sense to me now. I've been dealing with a very stressful event in my life over the past few months. So, maybe that's why it decided to show up now. Maybe I've had it for years. Just wanted to put that out there, just in case no one had read that. I found that very informative. I've been educating my friends on HPV since I found out I had it. Also, if anyone else has any interesting or helpful information on the subject, I'd love to hear it. I want to know everything I can about HPV.
Posted on 03/24/08, 08:24 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for HPV. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/25/08  12:40pm
" Yes, stress is a major contributing factor. And - it can lie dormant for years. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/25/08  2:32pm
" Agreed. Stress plays a major factor with this virus.
60-70% of the overall population has carried or carries some form of HPV.
The cervical dysplasia (abnormal Pap) is more of concern to worry and treat then the wart strain.
Wart strain is approx 2yrs.
I had both strains. Currently still in treatment for cervical dysplasia.
What grade is your dysplasia?
Low grade is most common with the wart strain.
Your partner/husband should be checked for warts. Even though you don't see any ...does not mean there are not there. Some of them are as tiny as the tip of a pen. An urologist and or a dermatologist should check for this...
How are they treating your dysplasia? On a watch to watch basis? Or are you scheduled for a colpscopy?
Have you been checked for internal warts? Im not trying to worrying you here...but the sooner you know and get checked the faster for treatment.
Statistic have proven that 8 out 10 women by the age of 50 have at least one hpv infection. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/25/08  3:05pm
" I had a colposcopy a week ago today. They took two biopsies. I'm scheduled to go back 2 weeks from today to get my results and find out what kind of treatment I'll need. Do the colposcopies check for internal warts? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/25/08  3:39pm
" Yes. Colpscopy checks for warts, lesions etc. Hang in there...HPV is not forever. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/25/08  3:42pm
" Yes and I know that improving your diet and immune system can help your body get rid of it(or suppress it). I take vitamins and I really need to exercise and get on a better way of eating. Is there anything else that I can do for myself to help?

BTW, Missy, you are always so helpful...not just in my posts, but I see what you say in other's and you're amazing for being so supportive. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/26/08  7:24pm
" My HPV has been dormant for at least four years now. The stress thing seems to make sense but I have had some pretty stressful times during this and mine is still dormant. That is just my personal experience. My annual is comming up and hopefully it will be normal.
I have had no major problems but it was annoying when I first found out to do annuals every four months and I had two copos but nothing further as no cancer cells where found for the loop or freeze they do. My paps went normal but the second year they still had me on a 6mo. period for annuals.

I do remember when I first spoke with the cancer doctor there where like 5 differnet types of HPV on the labs but he told me then that none of them would cause warts. You may want to check with your gynocologist on that to releive your mind about the warts. Good Luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/28/08  5:02pm
" Just a FYI...warts are merely a symptom (outward) symptom that you have HPV. It's not as bad as it sounds. Very treatable. Dysplasia is the higher concern. You can be infected with more than one strain. I have both strains and the dysplasia worries me the most. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/29/08  9:56am
" I must say that I found out about my HPV about a month ago and was blessed with this website...also Missy13 you are doing an amazing job of informing people and making at least me and I'm sure lots of other people fell normal about having HPV....THANK YOU!!!

I'm seeing my OBGYN on Monday about my diagonsis..I have mild dysplasia on my cervix and dyplasia on my vagina. I'm assuming that means I have warts on my vagina??? But does that mean that I have two differnt types of HPV. If they are warts should I let my OBGYN treat them or a dermatolgist? Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks!!! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web