How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

HIV Information

• HIV (also known as human immunodeficiency virus, and formerly known as HTLV-III and lymphadenopathy-associated virus) is a retrovirus that primarily infects vital components of the human immune system such as CD4+ T cells, macrophages and dendritic cells. It also directly and indirectly destroys CD4+ T cells. As CD4+ T cells are required for the proper functioning of the immune system, when enough CD4+ T cells have been destroyed by HIV, the immune system functions poorly, leading to the syndrome known as AIDS...
  • HIV also directly attacks organs, such as the kidneys, the heart and the brain leading to acute renal failure, cardiomyopathy, dementia and encephalopathy. Many of the problems faced by people infected with HIV result from failure of the immune system to protect from opportunistic infections and cancers.

HIV is transmitted through direct contact of a mucous membrane with a bodily fluid containing HIV, such as blood, semen, vaginal fluid, preseminal fluid or breast milk. This transmission can come in the form of: penetrative (anal or vaginal) sex; oral sex; blood transfusion; contaminated needles; exchange between mother and infant during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding; or other exposure to one of the above bodily fluids.

HIV infection is a chronic infectious disease that can be treated, but not yet cured. There are effective means of preventing complications and delaying progression to AIDS. At the present time, not all persons infected with HIV have progressed to AIDS, but it is generally believed that the majority will. People with HIV infection need to receive education about the disease and treatment so that they can be active partners in decision making with their health care provider.

View Top HIV Answers at sharecare.com

Health Blogs

Every year new medications and study results change the way we practice medicine. Many families will be affected by these new updates and recommendations. Innovation in medicine and science is something we should all celebrate so I’d like to introduce the 2012 game-changers.
1. Blood thinners for atrial fibrillation. When ... Read More »
I have a very close family friend, and she is the Secretary of Health for the state of Washington. She was asked what the number one thing was that she thought could change the quality of health of Americans. I expected her answer to be a cure for cancer, or a reduction in obesity. Her answer? Wash your hands. She is one of the growing number ... Read More »
I’m sure many of you have heard my rants about the direction our health care system is going. You’ve heard my concerns of the number of children who are under-insured or who have no insurance here in the U.S. Solutions are complicated, and financial resources are more than limited, when state and federal cutbacks are mentioned each and every ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity