Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) Support Group
Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), is an acquired immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system (i.e. not the brain or spinal cord). It is suggested that it is an autoimmune disease, in which the sufferer's immune system is triggered into damaging the nerve covering. Many cases developed in people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine.
"It is the gradual onset as well as the chronic nature of CIDP that differentiates it from GBS".
I had GBS and I can tell you, at least in my case, it pretty much hit me like a brick. I woke up one morning and had problems walking and had the numbness in my feet. So the question is how did your problems begin, quickly or gradually? From what I read the treatments are very different. So it's very important to know which one you have. IVIG treatments boost your immune system. Treatments for CIPD suppress your immune system,
It sounds to me like you might benefit from a second opinion. I wish you well.
Not sure if this is true of GB,
Good luck
Anyway, from my reading, I gather that CIDP only happens in a small percent of GBS patients (maybe 3-5%?) and I think that would show up on an NCT? But as you are still so early into the GBS journey, I imagine that it's just your body is still healing from the onslaught of it all and of course being sick doesn't hurt either! As someone mentioned CIDP also comes on slowly whereas GBS hits like a brick wall! Can I ask you a question? You said your NCT came back fine and yet they still said it was GBS? It may sound weird, but I'm hoping for that diagnosis just so I know what is wrong with me. I lost use of my legs on Aug 26th and still can barely walk (my legs are rubber from the knees down.) Not fun with 5 kids!! Did you find that during your recovery you sometimes went backwards? I have gotten to a point twice where I can walk 10 steps or so without my walker, but then I seem to "overdo" it and they shut right back down again. SO frustrating! Anyway, I hope that you are feeling much better as you read this! I'd love to hear how you are getting on. All the best!!