Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
GBS and flu shots?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I've done a fair bit of research on flu shots since I got GBS in February 2009.

Some doctors (including my neurologist and my GP) say that you should never have a flu shot ever again if you've had GBS. Because of this, I haven't had a flu shot since 2008.

However, other doctors say that the possible link between flu shots and repeat GBS is not true and/or that getting a bad case of the flu is actually more likely to cause a repeat case of GBS than the flu shot would.

Have you had a flu shot since you've had GBS?

Do you think that your GBS might have been caused by a flu shot?

What have you decided to do about flu shots this autumn, and in the future?
Posted on 10/11/11, 11:03 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/12/11  1:16pm
" This is a question I am pondering as well. I am now recovering from GBS, with first onset this past July. The doctors said no vaccinations of any kind for at least 3 years. Not sure where that number came from.

Anyway, I found a short article that might help in the British Journal of Medicine. It appears in volume 339, article b3577, 2009. I cannot figure out how to attach it here, but the article should be available online. The author is Laura C. Price. There is clearly some small (very small) risk of relapse of BGS after a flu vaccination, but the risk that comes with a flu illness itself may be greater. I won't get a vaccine this year, but I have not decided if that stance is permanent. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/15/11  11:56am
" I don't plan on getting a flu shot anytime soon, if ever. I have never gotten one before now. I did get GBS after having the flu but that was random not intentional. I can't see doing anything on purpose that would set into motion the absolute worse thing that has ever happen to me. Doctors who don't think there isn't a link between flu shots and GBS haven't been to the gates of hell and should do a little research. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/24/11  5:23am
" No flu shots for me either! I got GBS after having a stomach virus. I've heard that many doctors are saying it's safe to get flu shots as long as they aren't live vaccines. I'm taking no chances. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/05/11  8:27pm
" I have not had a flu shot since I had GBS in 1963 within a week after getting a flu shot. I was in the hospital for two weeks, then at home. It was difficult to go back to college even though I was told I "recovered." I was also suspicious of the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine for my daughter, so my pediatrician waited until she entered kindergarten to give it. It was a long 2 weeks waiting to see if she reacted.
I haven't had a flu shot - I also have never had the flu since then. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/28/11  10:28pm
" I have also been told never to have a flu shot since having GBS and a warning is actually on the label of the flu shot bottle along with egg intolerant people. Is definitely a NO from me :) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web