Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lost Voice
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone else have issues with losing their voice with GD? I do get frequent hoarseness in my voice or I tend to sound scratchy on some days but this morning I woke up with clearly no voice and when I eat its hard to swallow. No swollen glands, no sore throat as in a sickness, no fever, no cough nothing... Just a clear loss of voice and obviously my thyroid is inflammed because well it looks like I have a man's adams apple. Can it occur so quickly? (the inflammation that is)..... I was hoarse for the past week but this is a whole new level. I am so new To graves disease that I am not even on treatment besides a betablocker to help with most of the symptoms.

TSH of 0.028
T3 of 20
T4 in normal range.
Thyroid Antibodies are still pending.
Posted on 05/18/08, 09:20 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Graves' Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/18/08  9:43pm
" Maybe you ate something really high in iodine that caused it to swell. Please be careful, thyroid storm can happen quickly. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/18/08  10:20pm
" Oh I didnt think about iodine.. no one warned me about that... Ughh what did I eat yesterday...CRAP I ate corned beef..potato chips and ice cream!

As you can tell Im trying not to lose anymore weight. Man I wished I knew that..OMG!! I sabatoged myself.. I researched a list of foods to avoid for a low iodine diet and Lunch meats, chips and dairy are on top of the list no wonder I woke up and couldnt speak today!

Wow thank you for your insight, I guess I need to take a closer look at what I eat! this is such a miserable disease..

What am I to do to not lose so much weight? I cant eat too high in calorie because everything has Iodine in it.. I have stopped running my 5 miles a day just so I wont burn calories that my body needs right now.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/18/08  11:07pm
" Ive spoken with several doctors and endos . Yea we should try and aviod foods high in Iodine but We are on Iodine blockers. so it blocks it out anyway we are left with that gross feelin tho after we've eaten high iodine foods "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/18/08  11:27pm
" On the website that trying2smile gave us it states that with graves your voice can actually change to a deeper tone but I didnt see anything about loss. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/19/08  7:47pm
" Well I talked to my endo today, he was so nice enough to call me just to talk about this. He said that I can and will have a hoarse voice or a deeper voice and notice is more frequently when I am on a higher iodine intake since i do not take any antithyroid meds yet.

BUT as far as losing my voice he thinks I am getting a virus and low and behold 5 hours after talking to him, I have a pink eye and fever and stuffy nose...

so Im guessing that is where my voice is gone from because he said when people with Graves are exposed to virus' that can cause a Thyroiditis which will make it hard to swallow and talk.

So I guess that is the answer now that I feel like poop, no voice hardley but Hey i got some antibiotics and hopefully will feel better soon,

Thanks for all of your input! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/19/08  8:33pm
" Well not to scare you skinnurse but one of the first symptoms of TED for me was what they thought was pink eye. Both my eyes were very red a watery, they gave me pink eye meds but that didnt work, then they thought I was exposed to chemicals at my work and it didnt respond to those meds either. This went on for about a week and then my eyes started to bulge. Pink eye meds should work within 4 hours so if It dosnt, call your Doc "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/20/08  2:04am
" I've always had a deep scratchy Voice even as a kid ( they use to joke and say yea she sounded like she smoked a carton when she was 6 ) I remember b4 i was DX'ed always having a sore horase voice actually I can even remember going to concerts and the next day not even being able to talk. Still the rare times i feel well and decide to go out if Im somewhere and we're screaming and singing i cant talk the nxt day "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/20/08  6:10pm
" My voice is much scratchier with graves disease. My neck swelling has subsided for now, so I hope it stays down. I try to keep some cough drops around, but I any that are colored. I guess the red, green and blue colored ones can have a lot of iodine in them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/20/08  7:52pm
" Hmm very good to know about the TED, I have a few small signs like chronically dry itchy eyes, a little reddness. Right now I have a slight bulge but I think I have always had that, I am a big eyed girl haha..

The voice thing ya know, my mom was reminding me last night that I am allergic to advil..Not the medicine in it but the Brown/red coat it has on the pill, whenever I took it as a teen my throat with swell just enough it would be hard to swallow for a few days, i wonder if that is somehow related.

My voice is still horrible. Its getting worse by the day, I am down to a very scratchy whisper. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/21/08  8:57am
" skinnurse, it sounds like an iodine prob. The coating around advil has the red dye that is high in iodine on it...sounds like your body doesnt like iodine. which would explain a lot. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web