Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Graves and Blood Pressure
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello, friends. I just got out of the hospital for hyper thyroid related issues, rapid heart beat and LOW blood pressure. I always thought w/ Graves I would have high blood pressure. The incident that occurred REALLY scared the mess out of me. I was unable to think straight; I was unable to move (quickly); my brain was clouded and fuzzy; my muscles and or joints were aching and my eyes hurt.

I'm STILL really confused about my condition. I've been taking the Meth. 15mg faithfully, but it seems as if my SYMPTOMS (i.e. hand tremors, insomnia, hair falling out, sweating, etc has gotten worse.)

Sounds horrible, but I just wanna lay down and go to sleep--or hypernate like a bear until Spring.

I'm hurting.
Posted on 01/04/11, 01:22 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Graves' Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/04/11  1:24pm
" Ooh, I forgot to add...they said my blood pressure was 84/64...is that bad? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/04/11  1:33pm
" I had really low blood pressure, as well. Did they call it a thyroid storm? I wonder if you need a higher dose of meth. Have they been checking your Free T3 and Free T4 levels? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/04/11  1:55pm
" Interesting. They did ck my T3 and T4. The doctor didn't even know what my T numbers meant. I can't believe she said that outloud to me! :( She said my lab report showed my level was low...whatever that means. I looked at her like she was crazy!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/04/11  2:09pm
" My reply just disappeared! I'll try again.

I've read that low blood pressure can be a symptom of Graves'. Mine goes up.

84/64 is awfully low. Normal is around 120/70. If mine goes below 100 on the top end, I'm face-down at the dinner table.

I can't believe that any licensed MD wouldn't know how to read a lab report. Are you sure they didn't just bring in a veterinarian or two for the holiday weekend? Yikes!!! Your TSH was probably the low one, and she didn't understand why it would be low with other stuff high. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/04/11  2:21pm
" hi, alto. I was soooo worried and UPSET! and for her to say that statement OUTLOUD, infront of the patient (me). I was mixed with fright and anger all at once. Yes. I felt extremely weak...they had to push me in a wheel chair and it seemed as if it took me 12 minutes to sign the HIPPA form. :( I can tell u that I won't be going bk to that hospital again. YIKES!!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/04/11  2:41pm
" So sorry you had a frightening experience at the hospital. :-(

Would you happen to have the lab results and the ranges? Could you possibly have had hypO-related issues instead? The symptoms you describe sounded more hypO than hypER.

You said you had been on 15 mg for a while. For many people with maintenance amount for the ATD (antithyroid drug) they take to keep their thyroid stabled, is usually around between 1.25 mg - 7.5 mg per day. All the while keeping their Free T3 and Free T4 at mid range to possibly a bit higher for some.

Please find out what your labs were (together with the ranges) and post them here so we can better help you.

{{{hugs}}} :-( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/04/11  2:44pm
" P.S. Many hypER/hypO symtoms do cross over with each other. Finding out which ones you had plus knowing what your labs were, would help.

The ER doctor I had when I became ill with the suspected thyroid storm a few years ago, had to call in the on-call Endo to help him with my lab work because he didn't understand them either. I understood more than he did. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web