Increase in liver enzymes with ptu
Hi. I have been taking a low dose of ptu since sept. 06. My liver enzymes increased as I increased my dose of ptu (from 50 to 200 mg. per day). My doctor has suggested I take methimazole (generic for tapizole) instead to help my liver. Has that worked for any of you?

My concern is that Im trying to get pregnant and have heard that this med is dangerous to the fetus. Any advice?

Thanks
Posted on 08/02/07, 01:02 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Graves' Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 08/02/07  9:04am
" I was told by my old doc. that methimazole is a new drug...and it is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding. He said people like to stick with what they know and have been using for years (PTU). Not sure wether it is true, I have read info going against this...but he is a well known endo here. "
Reply #2 - 08/03/07  12:42am
" Thanks for the tip. I decided yesterday to just give it a try. I'm already euthyroid, but the doctors feel that my tsh is still too much on the low side to conceive. My endo also feels methimazole is safe. I've also read a lot against this, but at a low dose maybe it's o.k. We'll see... "
Reply #3 - 08/09/07  12:51pm
" PTU is a very toxic drug that is secreted thru the liver, talk to your doc about other options
Mary "
Reply #4 - 08/10/07  10:38am
" I actually read a low dose...I think under 20 mg of methimazole/tapazole is safe. "
Reply #5 - 08/10/07  3:24pm
" I just went to an endo. for a second opinion and he recommended that I switch to methimazole. It's not the best to use during pregnancy, but I could switch back to a low dose of ptu at that time. Hopefully this will help my liver. "
Reply #6 - 08/10/07  3:55pm
" good you got a second opinion. from what I've heard from most people, is your levels usually even out during pregnancy, and sometimes you can even go off of meds at that time. "
Reply #7 - 08/10/07  7:47pm
" My levels did go to normal during my pregnancy. I was very fortunate not to have to take medication during pregnancy. Shortly after birth, I was given 5mg of methamazole. 3 weeks into it, I started to notice my joints hurt then turn numb. I called my endo and had bloodwork done. She immediately took me off my medication. she said any longer and i could have died! My advice would have to be is to listen to your body and don't be afraid to utilize your doctor when something bothers you or you have questions. I hope this helps.... "
Reply #8 - 08/12/07  3:01pm
" Hi,
My doc told me there is a significant risk of birth defects while taking any of these meds during pregnancy. "
Reply #9 - 07/10/08  9:13pm
" honestly i do not believe any drug for thryoid is safe for a fetus and methamazole is surely not a safe drug for a fetus even small dose but i guess ptu is better only because less of the drug cross the placenta and i am seeing a graves specialist for my pregnancy now, i hope u do eventually get pregnant but i would wait until my levels are stable, might make it alot better for u and the baby, i had a daughter last year who was born premature 24 week gestation lived for four months and died in the nicu and it was the hardest thing i have ever went through. U don't want to suffer such a loss so make sure ur body is ready for your own safety, god bless. "
Reply #10 - 07/10/08  11:34pm
" PYU has a shorter life span in the body and hence the use of it in pregnancy.
MMI and CBZ (carbimazole) tends to work better though in regards to hyperthyroidism.
In regards to not being safe whilst pregnant....not having ANY anti-thyroid med is a very BIG risk while pregnant as the Graves Antibodies can cross into the foetus.
Also there is high risk of thyroid storm if no meds are taken.
I am surprised so many refrain from ATDS when pregnant as really its 6 of one and half a dozen of another so to speak.
If you DONT take meds then you are putting yrself and yr unborn child at risk.
And if you do, there is a slight possibility there may be repercussions but not as high as if you wasnt taking meds.
Most pregnancys results in a mother going euthyroid (normal) while pregnant and a high dose is not needed , only a maintenance dose.
Sometimes mothers can be weaned off completely.
Every person is different.
They say that propanonol (Inderal ) is dangerous while pregant in high doses.....well in my eyes, it is dangerous to be WITHOUT it if heart problems are there.

The best advocate for all of this is the individual person and their own personal choice after research. "