Can you drink on Methimazole?
I've been taking Methimazole for my 3rd day now, my dose is 1- 10mg. twice a day. I have a wedding to go to today and wondered if Is there any risks of drinking while taking this medicine.
Posted on 10/04/08, 11:54 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Graves' Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/04/08  12:07pm
" It would probably be fine to have 1 but I wouldnt have more then that right now until you are leveled with your meds! Which I think takes like 2 weeks ,I am not currently on it but was at one time. Some one will tell you more today as I am not a heavy drinker.
I do like Mascato which is a desert wine. Champagne like!! Yummy is it to early for one !!! LOL I would have a drink now and then like a few times a month. Hope this helps
Kelly "
Reply #2 - 10/04/08  1:00pm
" The medication specifically says "limit alcohol" because the methimazole is processed through the liver. Since you're on a fairly high dose right now and your are not sure yet how your liver is going to deal with the methimazole, I would stay away for it for now. I've been on methimazole since June 07 and am on 5 mgs per day. After a few months when I knew everything was fine with my liver (the doc should get your liver enzymes once in a while) I probably have one drink everyone one or two months, but I'm probably be more conservative than most because I want to stay on the methimazole long term and don't want to risk any liver problems that would make me have to stop taking it. Just my 2 cents. Hope you have fun at the wedding either way. "
Reply #3 - 10/04/08  1:01pm
" One more thing. I just thought of.... You should also avoid tylenol as it is also filtered through the liver- you are better to take adviil or asprin instead if possible. "
Reply #4 - 10/04/08  1:46pm
" Being hyper sends the booze thru your body faster. I used to be able to have a few drinks before i felt it, now after half a cooler i feel it. I take tapazole. A friend of mine was untreated hyper and alcohol send her into a thyroid storm. Ask your pharmasist to be sure. my pills dont say avoid alcohol. not that i drink much anyway. "
Reply #5 - 10/05/08  11:14am
" My Endo told me to limit or avoid Alcohol as it can increase your symptoms. If you are also on betablockers it's best to limit or avoid alcohol because it makes your heart rate go up as well as your blood pressure.
Moderation is always the key. Be conservative then you won't have to pay the next day.
: ) "
Reply #6 - 10/05/08  12:53pm
" I was on 60 mg of methimazole. (I'm on PTU now).

I had one drink, one time, and the next day I was soooooooooo itchy, covered in hives and muscle/joint achy the next 3 days... It was awful.

I don't know if it was a reaction to the MM or to having alcohol with it. The itching went away but the aches didn't, so I was switched to PTU. "
Reply #7 - 10/05/08  3:27pm
" Hey guys its bryceandsophiasmom (aka Patricia). I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens during a thyroid storm. I hear alot of people talking about it and saying that they have had them. I thought they were fatal. Just curious. "