Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Itching and Gout
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My Story:
About two years ago, I started having this awful itching. It first started around my wrists and it was always later on into the night after I had gone to bed. My wrists would itch, swell, and then turn red. Then I noticed these welts down my arms. When I went to see my primary care physician, I explained what was happening. He said it was allergies and I was sent to a dermatologist, placed on meds for daytime and nighttime of which I refused to take. Didn't think it was allergies. I complained for the longest about this itching and swelling. And then I noticed, I couldn't eat liver, beef, lamb and later nuts. I was never allergic to these foods before, but then I thought maybe I do have food allergies. Stopped eating the foods, but recalled the very first attack I had was after eating beef liver. Bingo, I thought I must have gout. Back to the doctor, and he said, "No." O.k., back to square one. Later, my hands started swelling, and I noticed that I only itched around my joints. Doctor still said it could be allergies. Over the summer, I went to visit my sister, whose husband has gout. During a conversation, he mentioned this itching he gets in his ears. I too have the same itching. I questioned him about other symptoms and it was exactly what I'm going through. So I made another appointment with my doctor regarding this itching. I'm totally convinced this is gout. My skin also peels after an attack of itching. If anyone else experiences itching with gout and skin peeling, please reply.
Posted on 10/13/11, 06:24 pm
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gout. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/06/12  7:15am
" What did your doctor say this time? I too get itching and gout but can recall if the itching or the gout came first. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/12/12  10:41pm
" I explained to the doctor about certain foods I can no longer eat. All he said was to discontinue the foods. The tests he had given me didn't reveal gout. I've since spoken to my rheumatologist (I also receive knee injections), and he said to call him the next time I get an attack. However, I will probably never get the bad attacks again since I've discovered I can not eat, lamb, pork, beef (especially liver which almost sent me to the ER), beans (especially black beans), and certain nuts. I only eat chicken and turkey now. Fish bothers me also. Since I let go of these foods, the symptoms aren't nearly as bad. Infact, the itching is very minor now. My doctor never said I have gout, but I know for a fact I do. At first, I thought I was allergic to the meats, but now I know the real truth. The other day I decided to try beef stew, and later that evening, the inside of my ears began to itch. As for your question about the itching, the gout comes first, and then the skin starts to swell. The swelling or stretching of the skin is what causes the itching. If the skin swells too badly, then it will eventually peel. Hope this has helped you somewhat. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web