Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gastritis cause pain in right side?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi everybody,

I am new to this site. I have suffered BADLY, like all of you, with these horribly scary and mysterious pains/burning/can't eat/indigestion symptoms from gastrtis for 2 years.

I believe mine was from extreme emotional trauma.

Anyway, like most of you, before you get Gastritis, you don't even know it exists !!!!! Then, one day - WHAT THE ???? Burning, knawing pain, gas, you can't eat anything you used to, liquids hurt. You get the diagnosis. You can't believe it !!!! Your life changes.

I had scope first time, then on Zantac for one year. The Gastro doc made no appt. for follow up (this was with MAJOR well known hospital in Toronto, by the way) and my prescription was over. So I felt better went back to normal eating habits.

Fast forward to now - HELP !!!! :(
One day ate some fries, doubled over, couldn't breathe from pain - knawing/burning/"can't describe" it pain. Emerg. said not gallbladder or liver or pancrease - most likely Gastritis back or maybe ulcer formed.

Taking Pantaloc, getting my scope May 2. Here is the thing:

The pain is WORSE on my right side just by my ribs ! The Pantaloc worked to calm the left and centre of my gut, which didn't have as much pain.

My question to anybody out there is this: DOES ANYBODY HAVE GASTRTIS PAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE? DOES GASTRITIS CAUSE GAS PAIN? EVER HAVE A MEDICATION WORK ON ONE SIDE OF STOMACH AND NOT ON THE OTHER? MAYBE ONE SIDE IS WORSE?

Thanks !!!!!!!
Lotsofcolours
Posted on 04/28/12, 06:38 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/28/12  7:04pm
" First let me say that my gastritus caused me all sorts of gas, bloating and belching problems especially when it first flared up.

As to the right side. Gastritus can involve the entire stomach area so that you will feel pain on both sides. It could be that the right side of your stomach (the antrum) could be more seriously inflamed (as was mine) so that you feel the pain more intense there. Perhaps the body of the main stomach has alreay begun to heal.
On another note the right side can also indicate a gall bladder issue. Have you had your gall bladder checked yet. I know many people who have had to have the g bladder removed. One thing you can do is to lie down on your back and begin to palpatate just under the rib cage on the right side. Press as deeply as you can without causing too much discomfort. If you feel some pain or discomfort under the right side that is directly related to the pressure, then it may well be worht having your doc look at your g bladder too when you go in on the 2nd.
I'm not a doc just someone who has dealt with both issues for a long time.
Keep us posted on your progress. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/28/12  7:17pm
" BTW, gastritus in the antrum is more difficult to heal because the wall of the antrum is thicker than the wall of the stomach. To have inflamation of the antrum portion of the stomach can indicate a long term process in which it took alot of something bad (aspirin, h pylori, nsaids, niacin etc etc) to erode the thicker layer of the antrum wall. The end result is a longer healing process.

My gastritus will manifest itself with a sharp like pain just beside (right) of my belly button. It feel like someone is grasping and pinching the skin. The antrum is located in the belly button area. It's the last portion of the stomach before you get to the small intestine. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/28/12  7:41pm
" Thank you jim229, that is a lot of good advice/comments. Figures, that it may be the part of the stomach that is the hardest to heal ! What a drag !!!!! :(

I did have 2 pelvic/abdom ultrasounds and bloodwork just recently at emergency (as I was in so much pain one day i went there) and they said gallbladder appears ok. But who knows? It could be "going".....and adding to the already gross symptoms of gastritis.

Funny however, I have no pain in the navel area, it is much higher on the right, under my ribs!!! But, it is definately related to eating/drinking, because as soon as food goes down (especially carbs or spicy or acid foods or drinks - although i do try to avoid for sure, but sometimes "test" my stomach progress by sipping or eating a small amount of something spicy) the pain on the right starts immediately, and my doctor said if it was gallbladder it would not be burning like that, or that immediate.

Who knows? I am getting my scope this Tuesday May 1, so will post then with some info.

thanks again ! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/28/12  11:28pm
" Mine (pain) is in upper stomach and more toward the right side than left. They checked me for gall bladder immediately and the scans were all ok. So it probably is the gastritis. AND, it really could be that inflammation was much worse on one side.

I usually feel bad within an hour of eating. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/29/12  7:37am
" When I initially got this all my pain was on the right - it was duodenitis - like gastritis, but in the first few cm of the small intestine. It can be caused by H pylori/gastritis in the stomach antrum producing more acid. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/29/12  1:25pm
" I don't notice any specific area with my gastritis, but I believe I am healing (hope so) somewhat. At first, I couldn't stand any type of waist band around my stomach area, if that helps you.

BTW, I tried fries and found even after several months, I could only eat one or two. The good news for me is that I've chosen healthier ways to eat potatoes. Fries and any fried foods can make me miserable. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/29/12  8:03pm
" That's what happened to me. They removed my gallbladder and found nasty cholecystitis. You should get that checked asap. The infection can spread to the bowels and pancreus... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/29/12  8:58pm
" Hi lots of col yes I hope that if its the gallbladder that it will be discovered. They can get inflamed and its nasty. Also the gallbladder attack is extremly painful. I had it once before I had mine out and I had to have morphine. I thought I was dying,it was horrendous. I supose if we slip up and eat the wrong foods then the gastritis will flare up. You can somehow tell where the pain is coming from. If you swallow and it then hurts its the stomach. Unfortunately Ive had different pains since all this,chest pain,oesophagheal spasms,gallbladder attack,stomach pain,oesophaghitis. I can tell the differences. If it feels like its inside the stomach it will be. It will be where the inflammation is. What I mean is that the gallbladder pain is a seperate kind of pain. You will know which is which. Let us know how you get on. I didn,t know what gastritis was either until I got it. I always thought it was oesophaghitis I had but then the endoscope showed it was gastritis as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/30/12  3:26am
" jim229 - that is very interesting about how damage to the antrum has been a long term process so needs much longer to heal. This is what I have, most likely from H pylori which has then also spread to the duodenum.

The other thing about duodenitis is that the inflammation/swelling can cause the gall bladder duct to become a bit blocked, so the gallbladder itself can be fine, but it is just finding it more difficult for the bile to flow out, so this can cause pain.

I find massaging the area helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/30/12  8:30am
" Also, as Ive found for those of us who fight this condition with a double dose of ppi's. I ve discovered along the way that some of my gastritus like symptoms can be a side effect of doubling a ppi. If you deprive your stomach of too much acid it can duplicate the same symptoms that gastritus produces. That's why it's good to occasionally stop doubling your doseage for a day of two to see if you re healing properly. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web