Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
The Skipping Beat of My Heart
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
How do? :]

I've been away from these boards for several weeks now. I wasnt a frequent poster though, but perhaps a few of you have read my posts. Just wanted to say that I'm feeling MUCH better. I pretty much have gastritis in a headlock. There are times were I feel anxious (at times even claustrophobic), I find that talking to people helps a lot! It doesnt necessarily have to be about whatever it is that's bugging me. What's more important is connecting with someone else. It helps sooth my mind. It's a nice distraction, plus you get to learn things about your friends that you never knew about.

As I've said I've been feeling better, happy even. I woke up this morning feeling strange though. My heart was skipping a beat. Example: normal pulse would be... beat beat beat beat beat beat beat. My pulse was going beat, beat, beat, beat, BIG BEAT, no beat, no beat, then it would resume it's normal beat til the next big beat came along. This went on for 5-10 minutes.

I did some googling and read that it's no big deal. it's common in athletes and it might be due to dehydration, stress and/or anxiety. I did wake up feeling very thirsty. So I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar.

Thanks for reading!
DWG
ps my heart isnt skipping anymore.
Posted on 03/28/11, 09:28 am
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/28/11  9:42am
" I actually have experienced it, both from an abnormality within the heart I was born with (a murmur) and as a side-effect with the gastritis/medication. I found it usually happened when I was either dehydrated or when the inflammation was higher. The best thing to do is try to take your mind off of it as best you can, sip a little water and recline to take some of the pressure of your stomach muscles. Overall, you should see an improvement. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/28/11  11:18am
" Thanks Raven for the reply!

I did just that. I had fallen asleep on my belly and the skipping beats woke me up at 2am. At first it freaked me out, cause it's my heart. Then I just calmed myself down by taking deep breaths and being logical with what was going on. I asked myself.

Are you in pain?
No.
Are you cramping?
No.
Any sort of muscle constrictions?
No.
What else are you feeling?
Thirst.

At that point I got up, sipped some water, googled what was happening, found out it might be dehydration, sipped some more water, went back to bed and fell asleep in a reclined position. A couple hours later I woke up feeling fine, but still feeling a bit dehydrated. So I decided to come on here to see if anyone could relate, cause I figured gastritis had something to do with it.

thanks for reading! :]
DWG "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/30/11  10:37am
" I get palpitations from Prilosec. It's a known side effect. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/01/11  12:38pm
" Skipped heartbeats are quite common even in healthy people. We tend to feel them more as we age and with use of alcohol, tobacco and caffeine. Anxiety and stress are a huge culprit as well. Fluctuating hormones during perimenopause/menopause can cause skipped beats in women as well. I've had this and did have a work up to ease my mind. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (a common, and usually harmless heart condition). My mitral valve prolapse does not require medication. I just have to see a cardiologist on occasion to monitor it. I would encourage you to mention it to your doctor. Your doctor most likely won't find anything wrong but the reassurance might ease your mind. I also found that when my gastritis flared I had more skipped beats. The cardiac nurse told me that this is common. I take daily walks, watch what I eat and take calcium/magnesium supplements. I find that really calms my heart when it is acting up! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web