Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Diagnosed with gastritis this week, what do I do
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have pain in my stomach most of the time. If I eat chocolate it gets so much worse, also any processed foods. It seems that i am having to restrict everything that I eat. I am so sick of feeling this way, am on medication which helps but does not take it away. Is there any cure for this, or surgery or any suggestions how you cope would be appreciated. I am not working and feel that I am not able to with the way that I am feeling, thanks
Posted on 09/26/10, 02:14 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/26/10  9:04am
" First, hang in there. I know it all seems overwhelming right now, but it WILL get better. Life is best taken right now and always, one day at a time. Follow what you doctor says, regarding your medication. If you don't see improvement in a week or two, talk to the doctor again. Be your own advocate. As for a cure, no there really isn't one. Time is the only thing that truly heals this.

But some things can help it along the way- first, no more chocolate. In fact, it is one of the worst things you can eat right now at all. Also cut out as much fat, red meats, sugar, caffeine, spices (pepper, cinnamon, etc. Salt is okay in small doses) and think bland, bland, bland. It doesn't sound like fun and in truth it isn't. And don't give in to temptation. It is all or nothing. You give in and the pain WILL come back- fast. Things may get worse, before they get better and it is a long road ahead of you. Whatever the cause, this takes time to heal. For most people, a long time. For some, it never is the same.

Don't worry about what will be or what you can not control, such as your pain or even the emotional roller-coaster you are on right now- instead focus on the positive and what you can do. Reduce your stress level NOW- as it really will only make things worse. Cut anything stressful out of your life that you can and rest up. Your body needs it. Also, check out the post "Dietary Assistance" on this board. It will give you some ideas of what worked for some of us and what didn't. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us are at various stages in our healing process- but everyone is here to help if they feel they can.

Hang in there and know that you even though it doesn't seem this way right now, you will get through this. And I promise, it does get better with a lot of time, tons of patience and all the inner-strength you can muster. Best wishes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/26/10  9:40pm
" Ravenfish said it best. It's true; with gastritis you can't eat much variety for a while. It seems impossible at first, but you get used to it. I used to be a big foodie before gastritis. It's amazing how you learn to live with just basic food. Chocolate is one of the worst foods to eat. In fact, I was starting to feel better from gastritis, and last week I decided to eat chocolate chip cookies and triggered my gastritis again. I think processed foods are bad because they can contain acid, like citric acid.

To get better, it's absolutely critical to eat bland foods. There's a good food list on this forum of good gastritis foods. Also, try to get stress under control if that was a factor in causing your gastritis. You might try yoga, exercise, walking, therapy, massage, whatever works for you. Don't let the negative thoughts of gastritis get your stomach upset again; I have tended to do that, but I had to learn to break the cycle.

Gastritis isn't permanent, but the solution isn't easy. It requires a lot of patience. How long have you had it for already? Some people get better quickly, and for others it takes much longer. Surgury, at least to my knowledge, isn't an option. But gastritis isn't a permanent condition, I don't think. Your stomach lining will grow back healthy.

I also understand how it would be impossible to work with this condition. I developed gastritis after I was laid off, and it took a good two weeks for me to feel okay enough to be able to function again.

Feel better soon! This is a great forum to find support. You'll learn a lot here. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/27/10  1:05am
" welcome hugbear,
i echo everything that has been said. I can now and then tolerate 1 square of pure dark chocolate. sadly it is good for us and aids digestion but aggrevates gastritis. I lunched with a friend today and overdid the potato wedges and now am sooooo full. I also had half a biscuit with vanilla and hope that won't cause any problems. Breath and take one day at a time. When the tears come, let them fall. It's all a part of the journey and the release does help...that and a hot wheat bag.
Take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/27/10  11:58am
" Hi all. I have managed to see my gastritis off - if I am a really bad girl it will start coming back with the old familiar feeling of cramping and as though someone has hold of my tum on the left under the breast and is squeezing it tight. Docs PPI's did no good. But here is a list of what I self medicated with great results.

P'Darco tea/Blue Green Algae/Tumeric capsules/Aloe Vera Juice/Probiotic/Acidofolus Capsules/Manuka Honey. Every time it works. Ask me more if you need to, always ready to help, I thought I would never get rid of it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/27/10  7:32pm
" HI GwenY,
That is great news for you. Can you tell me how long it too you to see it off? I've been battling for almost 6 months and have a long way to go yet I'm sure.
Thanks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/28/10  12:24pm
" I've had my gastritis come and go over the years so cure or not I dont know, seems to flare up as it wants. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web