Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Taking Carafate,Sucralfate
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Well since my gastritis has flared up again I think I may take the Sucralfate again regularly. I take my PPI in a morning before breakfast. When is the best time to take the Sucralfate then? Ive took one tonight a little after tea as its so bad. How long does it take to work? I really need to get this bad pain under control. A lot of people say that it works. Im not keen on having to keep taking it four times a day. Its only one spoon though and I think Im going to put some in a small plastic bottle,to carry around with me. It will be better if I have the bottle to take it while Im out. If I can get into the habit of taking it it may help. Ive took it before when I had a stomach ulcer and it took ages for that to go. This gastritis is more painful than that,I can tell you. Any other advice keep it coming to me. Love Julie the poorlygirl.
Posted on 02/01/12, 07:30 pm
9 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/01/12  8:30pm
" I take Carafate 3 times a day i felt a difference right away but for the pain to be gone it took bout 1 week. I take it 1 hour before i eat lunch and 1 hour before dinner. The doctor told me to at least take it 45 min before eating ,so it can coat the stomach right . I take one more right before i go to sleep, just to keep my stomach coated when i have this reflux going on ....im not sure how long i will take it this time ,but last time i took it 8 weeks 3 times a day ....my PPI i took with my meal some of em work better that way i was told, if its true i dont know since it seems that different doctors have different opinons on it, However now i take zantac and that i take right with my meal . For me Carafate is heaven sent when it comes to the pain and burning it calms it down . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/04/12  2:25am
" I take sucralfate 4 times per day. I take the first PPI dose just when I get up, and then the sucralfate 45 minutes later, and then have breakfast 20 minutes after that. I then take the sucralfate 1 hour before lunch and dinner. Then 1 more an hour before bed.

With the PPI it really started to help after about 1 to 2 weeks. After 6 weeks I was doing much much better. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/04/12  12:32pm
" Try to make out a schedule. It worked for me, both in remembering to take the medication and in getting better. I also used it with a PPI, four times daily. Best wishes and good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/04/12  8:09pm
" Thanks all. I havent started taking the Sucralfate regularly yet. I have the chest problem and my doctor said it was a virus. I know know what virus as since last night I have had a terrible cold. My chest feels like its been ripped out,as its gone there and my stomach hurts again tonight. I was worried that the Sucralfate would upset my chest but my doctor thinks uits ok. I once took the tablet version and I couldn't breathe. I was sick too so I don't know. I took the liquid version when I had a stomach ulcer. Its getting b rave enough to try it again. Also Im tempted to eat the wrong foods. I pray for good health for all of us soon. Hows the cold weather treating you? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/04/12  9:08pm
" whats the carafate and the sucralfate? I havent been to a GI doc as yet just my family doctor. i am only on PPI. are carafate and sucrelfate for gastritis? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/05/12  2:41pm
" Hi endless Carafate is the American name for Sucralfate as far as I know. It is the same medicine. On the leaflet its described as being for coating the stomach if you have ulcers. It can be used to treat an inflamed stomach. It has aluminium in it though if that worries you. It seems to have a good press. What worries me is my chest trouble and because I had that reaction to it once. I hope you get to see a GI doctor if you need to. Ive waited ages to see mine again and now Ive got to cancel due to a bad cold and chest. I can't win. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/09/12  7:19am
" When I started Carafate, I kept forgetting to take it before meals. I always did remember to take it at bedtime, so I never really took all that many. I think time and taking DGL licorice off and on all day, and mostly the aloe vera gel helped me the most (but who knows, right?)

I now take a Carafate at bedtime; that's all I take all day. Still drinking 2 cups of slippery elm tea every day, and other teas such as ginger root (good for inflammation) and chamomile, and lots of water. I also mix a little aloe gel AND aloe juice in a glass of water and have 2 of those every morning. However, note there is citric acid in the aloe juice and gel, so be forewarned it's not for everyone; but it does seem to help me.

Best of luck! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/09/12  7:20am
" Also, I once read olive oil is helpful. Have you tried that? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/09/12  8:45pm
" Hi sunlovinmom, Ive only tried olive oil in recipies for frying. The last time I fried something I had problems though with reflux. I may try the flaxseed oil capsules. I hopefully will be able to get back to stirfrying. I always used to use olive oil. Do you keep yours long as I have a bottle thats been open for ages? "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web