Flare ups and pain
I have more pain now with my gastritis in the past two months. I havent always took Gaviscon Advance which Im suposed to take four times a day. I keep thinking it wont work and get fed up of taking it. I maybe have eaten foods or had drinks like fizzy pop to upset it. I dont know what to do as it keeps flaring up. Now its so bad I cant sleep and its getting me down. I dont drink or smoke. I dont have orange juice or a lot of fat. Ive just got Aloe vera so will start taking it. None of the meds seem to work. What seems to be the best meds? I have GERD too and a hiatus hernia so this may contribute to the pain. Apart from paracetamols and codeine I have Amitrytaline. Its crazy as the pain wont go. Ive had gastritis for nearly two years and the acid problems. Has anyone got rid of the gastritis by then? I dont know why it wont go. Thanks
Posted on 09/17/11, 07:48 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 09/17/11  11:59pm
" hi there and I hope we can all offer some advice and support.
I was diagnosed with gastritis April 2010 and I know I'm healing but don't know if I'll heal 100%. I keep trying new foods within a safe range and may never risk certain foods again.
My pain only occurs if something I eat causes a reaction. Having to deal with two other food issues must be so hard.
Do you take a probiotic at all? Maybe check out the thread dietary assistance as well.
I take a probiotic, slippery elm, coconut water when IBS gets bad and sometimes baking soda with a gastritis reaction.
Please ask more questions. I hope I can help in some small way.
cas "
Reply #2 - 09/18/11  7:11am
" I take Aloe Vera also, it is good, and a probiotic. I get flare ups when I am silly and overdue things but whereas the PPI's from the doc did nothing - my own herbs and spices do seem to see it off every ti8me. Have you tried tumeric capsules, they stop inflammation, I take 2 twice a day. I also find Silicol Gell just the best thing ever ever. You can get it from Holland and Barrett (I see you are in Derby) I get mine from the Manchester Trafford Centre. It soothes and stops the pain and aching in the chest, tummy and stomach and left side under the breast that I used to get a lot. It also helps with you skin and will make it more elastic so it is a win win situation.
Have a go. "
Reply #3 - 09/18/11  5:42pm
" Thanks soretum well I got no sleep last night as its really flared up bad. I got some reflux too. I think my GERD may be part of the problem. Having a hiatus hernia doesnt help. Do you take a PPI? Or other med for your gastritis? How did you get your gastritis? Do you know? I supose it depends on the cause too as to whether it heals. Mine is only suposed to be mild but my endoscopy report said moderate. I think its got worse because of something Ive eaten. I did have a curry the other day. I started taking Aloe vera but havent found it to help. Has your pain lessened off somewhat then? I had a call from a doctor who said to take Ranitidine tonight for it and codeine. I hope it settles soon. "
Reply #4 - 09/18/11  7:19pm
" Thanks Gweny I will look for those things,its difficult to know what to take as I dont know what pains from GERD or gastritis. I "
Reply #5 - 09/18/11  7:28pm
" I have Aloe vera but am a bit scared to take it as the GERD was worse today. I dont know what Ive done to flare it up. Do you have to take Gaviscon or any other antacid? Last year Iwas taking Gaviscon a lot and it calmed down. I was in Scotland and enjoyed the Safari park we went to in peace. It soon came back though so the respite I get is short lived. Do you take the remedies together every day? How long have you been using them? I have probiotic yogurts and my IBS was much better with them and having fibre. Do you eat wholemeal bread? I havent had it since my stomach problems.How long have you haqd gastritis? Ive had it well over a year,nearly two years. "
Reply #6 - 09/19/11  2:34am
" Hi again,
I only take natural meds of slippery elm and a probiotic and now and then coconut water. They are unsure of my cause but most likely viral. I think that a covers a wide sweep.
I was only PPI for a month in the beginning but they did little to help so the doctors took me off them.
Altering my diet and being strict with it has been my best asset along with time.
I really hope you get some relief soon.
They thought recently that I also had GORD (I'm in Australia) but it turned out to be IBS.
Keep us posted and hang in there.
Cas "
Reply #7 - 09/19/11  6:46pm
" Thanks soretum. I went to the doctors today. He has changed my prescription from Lansoprazole to Pantoprazole. My husband read somewhere that Lansoprazole can actually cause gastritis in rare cases. The doctor didnt think so he said it was a different kind atrophic gastritis. Still gastritis though. I know the other tablets dont work but Im scared to take the pantoprazole ones as I dont know how I will get on with them. Its scary changing meds. Hopefully they will do some good. I hate the pain. Also Ive got some Redbush tea which someone recommended for inflamation. I took some tonight and feel drowsy. They help you sleep as well. I will see. So you find the Slippery elm helpful then? I hope it settles down as it has done before.l wonder if its GERD more than anything. I need to see if I can get that hernia fixed. I see doctor again on Wednesday. "
Reply #8 - 09/19/11  7:17pm
" Chamomile tea is soothing, at least for me. Have you tried ginger tea? I bought the ginger root, but haven't had time to try it out. Good luck!! "
Reply #9 - 09/19/11  7:45pm
" i find ginger tea to be very soothing. I have 2-3 cups daily and 2 cups of peppermint tea. Ginger is an amazing calmer of the tummy.
Hang in there. "
Reply #10 - 09/20/11  9:34am
" Ginger tea is good and peppermint like suggested here. Poorlygirl have you had a go at tumeric for the inflammation and Silicol which will completely line your stomach and stop anything getting at it. It will also pull out anything in there that should not be (nasties that is) - it is expensive but so worth it. I can't stress enough these two things in my case really have been a life saver. I went on holiday last week and was bad bad bad with my diet, had the lot and back it came. But the tumeric and silicol have yet again come to the rescue and I am back to normal. I had GERD reflux really badly each night through being a glutton to be honest, and the old pains and aches from gastritis came back through my fault. Each thing acts differently with individuals, some things suggested did nothing for me, but these two have saved me and if I had known about them before I went for my endoscopy, I probably could have sorted myself out instead of having the old camera jobby. Have a go you never know. x "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice