How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
How long does it take to get rid of gastritis?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm going for vacation to Mexico next Wednesday. What unfortunate timing to be diagnosed with gastritis a week before I'm leaving on vacation.

I had an endoscopy on Tuesday night and it showed gastritis. My doctor switched me from aciphex to protonix and pepcid.

My question is when can I expect to find some relief with taking these two new medications? I really want to be able to go on vacation and enjoy myself. I don't even care if I have to watch my diet the whole time I'm there - I'm staying at an all inclusive hotel ; and recently realized I am lactose intolerant so I will have to watch my diet anyway. I just feel so bloated and pain in my upper abdomen so it would be such a blessing if the pain would subside. Does anyone have any thoughts or similar situation on how long I can expect to feel this way?

My doctor was NO help! It is certainly time for me to find a new gastroenterologist.
Posted on 04/27/11, 10:05 pm
1 Reply Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastritis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/28/11  11:11pm
" Melly-

I wish there was a simple answer that I could give you, but in all honesty, nothing about gastritis is simple. More than likely, yes, this will carry on well past your vacation. Depending on the type of gastritis you have and how you go about taking care of it, it may last weeks, months or even years. The medication itself can be helpful- but as we are all so different, what works for some may not work for all. It can take several attempts to find the right mix of medication, diet and stress management for you personally. This process may also be a long and often painful.

The best I can recommend is that you start by learning everything you can about the illness and how it effects you. Start with the post titled "Dietary Assistance". This will give you some ideas of food-wise what worked for a few of us and what did not. Once your diet is under control, then the next focus goes onto learning to manage your stress level. Stress can do a lot damage, just as much as acidic foods or even more. Hopefully the more educated you are and the faster you can get these two issues under control, the faster you will be on the path to improvement.

Remember no matter how frustrating this gets, if you take it one day at a time, you will get through this. And we are always here to help if we can.

Best wishes "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web