Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
diet soda?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What have your doctors said about drinking diet soda? I used to drink alot of soda before surgery but will not anymore, but I have drank all the water and unsweet tea I can stand, I would like a little variety. Do any of you guys drink an occasional diet soda?

Jason
Posted on 03/22/08, 11:50 am
22 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastric Bypass Surgery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/22/08  11:52am
" I have had one since my surgery 5 months ago, and believe me it wasn't worth it. The carbonation causes awful gas pains. Took me 3 days to drink and it really wasn't worth the effort. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/22/08  12:23pm
" I've heard it suggested to open the can and let it sit in the fridge for a day to let it go completely flat, then drink it.

K2O isn't bad and has 5 grams protein per packet with very few calories. Some people swear by Crystal Lite, which I've started to test (didn't like the first flavor I tried, but there are several more to go).

Good luck - hope you find something that works for you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/22/08  1:19pm
" No way the carbonation in the soda made me feel horrible. I would not make that mistake again!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/22/08  2:14pm
" i think it depends on the person, but i was told the same thing about letting it sit for a day or so. i have had a few small sips here and there and it doesn't bother me to much, no gas!! see how you react to it in small sips and go from there. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/22/08  2:23pm
" I have a can every so often. I do let it go flat. It also cures my craving for sweets! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/22/08  2:33pm
" Every once in a while I will take a few small sips of a can and give the rest to my family. I am really afraid of the gas pains so I tend to stay away. I do drink crystal lite lemonade and unsweet tea alot. Good Luck...Danyelle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/22/08  3:10pm
" I was missing soda a little bit but a few months ago I found at walgreens wryler's sugar free drink packets you can add to water. They taste better than crystal light and actually taste like you are drinking a fruit drink. The flavors I found are mixed berry, kiwi-strawberry, orange and pink lemonade. Also Arizona tea comes in sugarfree and tastes great along with Lipton's sugar free tea flavored with citrus and berry flavors. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/22/08  3:22pm
" I am 2 years out of surgey and i still can not have soda it's totally not worth the pains afterward . But i guess you have to try it for yourself to see how it is . No one that i know who has had it can handle soda . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/22/08  3:32pm
" Be careful with carbonated drinks. Too much carbonation can stretch your pouch. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/22/08  4:01pm
" You know, I read the other replies about how carbonate will gas you up, though when I've tried it a few times, and I'd sipped on can of diet pop a few times, I've had minor gas problems, and none that were painful at all. Just minor air pockets that work themselves up and out, but it wasn't painful at all for me. I simply won't do it often because the carbonation can stretch the pouch and I so do not want to deal with that. I allow myself one here and there so I don't feel deprived, and I usually only manage to drink half a can in the first place, if I'm doing good. Most times I don't even get half a one down. Just am satisfied after half a dozen sips usually. It's a test the waters thing, though I don't recommend drinking it on a routine basis cuz we got the nice small pouch to help us stay full longer and easier, and it's not worth enjoying tons of pop and stretching that pouch when there's tons and tons of sugar free drinks. I'm into Wylers kool-aid drink mixes now. The one our Walmart has, has Lemonade, Pink Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade. I go in jags though with my drinks, for a while I'll be into one thing, like for a while it was Lipton Diet Peach Tea, then suddenly I got sick of that and moved on to Cherry SF Kool-Aid and now it's Wyler's SF drink mixes. If you get lucky, you'll go into drink jags like I do and get tons of one and love it for a few weeks before starting on something else. Seems to keep me satisfied. Dunno why. I drink lots of stuff, occassional Gatorade, SF Kool-Aid, SF Wyler's Kool-Aid, Lipton Diet Peach Tea, water that comes out of my PUR water pitcher that allows me to put shots of fruit flavors in it...right now I'm doing strawberry, but I've done others they have too and love it, occassional V8-VFusion, tea, I did coffee in the mornings for a while but was having recurrent nightmares and when I cut the coffee out, for whatever reason, the nightmares have quit! Dunno what tie it has, but coffee does bad things to me mentally. There's TONS of SF options...try a grocery store or Walmart for some ideas. That's what I do, just roam the Kool-Aid section and see what I find. Now, if they made Orange and Lime Kool-Aid SF I'd be in heaven! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web