Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Stocking the kitchen for after surgery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Everyone says your tastes change after surgery...so then how can I stock my protein shakes, etc. that I will need after surgery?

I live in a rural area, it takes 20 minutes to get to the nearest town and 30-40 for the city with a nutrition store. My husband is not a shopper and will be entering his busy time at work, we also have 1 vehicle.

So to say I need to be prepared is an understatement.
Posted on 08/19/13, 10:09 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastric Bypass Surgery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/19/13  12:24pm
" Personally, I'd suggest trying shakes out ahead of time and if you like them, stock them in enough supply to get you through a week (maybe two). So if you don't love them after surgery, oh well, suck it up! ;-) I was able to drive after about four days and was out shopping then.

One mistake I made was overbuying. Based on my pre-surgery food mentality. I still have tons of jell-o and pudding that I stocked up on and never ate post-op.

Good luck!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/19/13  12:24pm
" I live rural also, and Amazon is my best friend. :) I have a prime membership so I get everything in 2 days. It is hard to stock up early, because if you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/19/13  12:39pm
" I was lucky and what I ate pre op for my shakes I could tolerate post op. But I did buy lots of little packets of protein shakes online. I spent about $90 on them. I still have a huge container of them. I got Nectar brand, Chike, Unjury, Jay Robb. Search online. Sugar free popsicles is a must post op also! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/19/13  1:58pm
" Don't stock too much. My tastes totally changed after surgery, and I hear this is very common. Stuff I loved prior to surgery I could not tolerate after. I used to only drink my water room temp before, after surgery I have to have it loaded with ice. Textures of food also bothered me after surgery. Just be careful not to get too much just in case you find you don't like it after surgery. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/19/13  2:13pm
" Yes tastes change. I agree, don't stock up too much and amazon prime is awesome with free shipping. Beats a trip to the store! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/19/13  2:37pm
" I know everyone says tastes change... however mine have changed very little... I can say that the protein shake I was only ok with preop, I actually liked better after! :):) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web