Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
High WBC
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hey all!

I just got my test results back and I have a high WBC (white blood count). It is not high enough for any type of cancer but still high. It was also high 4 months ago and a year ago (just when I happened to get tested for everything). I haven't been sick in years (knock on wood) and I don't want them to cancel my surgery but I don't know why my WBC is always high. I am in law school so I am always stressed but idk what to do.

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions on why my WBC is constantly high and what I should do about it so my surgery isn't canceled?
Posted on 07/06/13, 11:59 am
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastric Bypass Surgery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/06/13  12:54pm
" Has your doctor said that your surgery could be cancelled? I had a high WBC last week too. I never thought about it affecting my surgery. I was in the ER for abdominal pain.

I would have a talk with your doctor and your surgeon to see if this is going to be a problem for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/07/13  1:33am
" It could just be what "your normal" level is. Everyone has a little different baseline, and stress can raise a WBC level. I am sure being in law school would add a lot of stress!!

The physicians would be able to tell if your level is high because of an infection. The additional results of the complete blood count CBC (the test WBC is part of) will show if you have other components high/low that would show an infection. I would talk with your doctors, as I do not think there is anything you can do to lower your level. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/07/13  8:04am
" As Sherry said.. Stress can cause WBC to be high an that could also be your normal. My levels on everything were always all over the place but that was considered normal for me. If the docs are worried about it, they would probly do more testing an let you know. If it bothers you a lot, you can always ask them.. thats what they are there for. Good luck :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/08/13  11:39am
" Thanks everyone! I am going to call the surgeon today to see if he wants me to do anything about it. I also realized that the morning I got my blood drawn was also the morning I discovered like 45 mosquito bites and since essentially those are small allergic reactions that may have raised my WBC a bit. I will let you know what he says Ida so you know if it can affect surgery!! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web