Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Chewing Gum....
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
So I was told we cannot chew gum postop.... How come?

I never remember to ask my NUT :)
Posted on 06/23/13, 02:39 am
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastric Bypass Surgery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/23/13  3:04am
" I was told this to, im not sure why my surgeon said it can create air in our pouch. I wish we could because chewing gum is how ive always kept myself from snacking. Miss my gum!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/23/13  7:11am
" We can't have gum or hard candy. I believe it is because it gets the digestive juices going. your belly believes it is being feed. of course for us this is very bad the enzymes are looking for something to break down and the only thing there is the lining of your pouch that is just looking for an ulcer. that's what I think the point was. it was almost 2.5 yrs since my nut went over that with me so I probably have a bit of it wrong. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/23/13  8:38am
" And if you accidentally swallow it, it can cause BIG problems "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/23/13  9:59am
" They told me if you swallow it it can plug up yur pouch and they would have to go in and get it out. Alos it makes you have too much of something in your stomach that isn't good. I don't remember what. I have chewed a little like at church so I wouldn't have dog breath! Seems like this surgeryand the diet makes my breath bad. Think I'll see if other folks experince this! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/23/13  12:18pm
" I was told at my info session that when you chew gum and swallow you swallow a lot of air, like when using a straw. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/23/13  12:36pm
" Yes, becca I was told the same thing by our Dr. She said it causes too much air in our pouch. I don't chew gum hardly at all anyway so I wasn't too worried about it. Hope this won't be a big hinderance for your :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/23/13  12:55pm
" Thanks all! I think post surgery, when I'm hopefully not so interested in food, it will be ok... now it's kinda a deterrent to snacking :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/23/13  1:07pm
" I was told no gum because if we swallow gum it will be a medical emergency.

I've never accidentally swallowed gum in my entire life. I do chew it occasionally now. Usually, when I need to freshen my breath or if I run out of water and need the moisture in my mouth. I am very mindful when I chew and haven't had a problem.

I also drink my protein drink with a straw and have since I was a couple months out and was having problems choking it down (protein drinks can be disgusting!). The nutritionist recommended I drink it as cold as possible and use a straw so I didn't smell it. I mix it with ice so it is like a frosty/thick milkshake and I use jumbo milkshake straws I order online.

JJ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/23/13  3:59pm
" At my 2 hour pre-op meeting they said it was in case you swallowed it. Obviously it would block up your pouch or small intestine. Also, no gummie vitamins. They told us gum was ok, be careful not to swallow it. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web