Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Taking advil
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am 1 1/2 year out. I need to have some vericose veins in my legs taken care of. The surgeon wants me to take advil for several weeks after the surgery to decrease inflamation. I can not get any answers from the docs I have seen. The gastric bypass surgeon does not have anything to do with you after 1 year from surgery. Then my primary care physician will not give me information. And the vascular doc says he can give me nexium to help aid the stomach. Help! I know that ulcers could form and I do NOT want to deal with that. I think people end up formulating their own opinions since they can not get answers. Any thoughts would be great!
Posted on 04/03/09, 07:07 am
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Gastric Bypass Surgery. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/03/09  9:10am
" I'm not so sure I'd believe that your surgeon would drop you like that. I'll bet they have a program going for the newbies going thru, and they would also be available for questions like this. I KNOW mine will.

Call them and lay your question out for the nurse. You probly won't even get to talk with the surgeon, but his knowledge will be shared with you thru the office staff!

We absolutely shouldn't ever take NSAIDS.

BUT

sometimes they are necessary, and, if monitored closely, the risk can be lower. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room here

God Bless!

Janelle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/03/09  9:26am
" NSAIDS (including Advil) are not allowed for life. IF an exception has to be made you really need to seek advice from your bariatric group or a gastroenterologist.
Good luck!
Donna:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/07/09  11:49am
" What Donna said! :-D

Charlene "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/07/09  12:43pm
" NSAIDS are a no-no. Fight to get your anser. i agree with the ladies! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/12/09  2:56pm
" this is not medical advise but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get by. First, i think your Dr. is right about taking nexium while you are on the few weeks of advil. Lots of people do things that MIGHT damage their pouch and they get through it. Like caffine, it is not good for your stomach therefore not good for little stomach (pouch), but most people here do it. I hear them say I drink decaf, but coffee is coffee, and decaf is not much better. Soooooo, you can ask your dr for a mild narcotic pain reliever for 2 weeks or take the advil with nexium. Your PCP should know what is good for you, if he/she is any good to begin with.
Paula "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/13/09  9:31pm
" Don't take NSAIDS!!! Listen to the other replies.
Barbara "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/14/09  9:45am
" I can continue to go to my surgeon every year for the rest of my life. I am sure they can answer this question for you. Just keep bugging them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/28/09  10:31am
" I joined just to comment on this. I had GBS 10 years ago when not that much was known about the affects. I just heard about this Advil thing yesterday. I"ve always used Advil, motrin, etc. In the last 6 yrs, I've used it a lot ( nearly daily) because of exercise -walking and weight lifting.

I can understand constant use (as I do) causing a problem, but occassional use for a headache,etc? Each body is different. We all know that there's a possibility that OUR body will be the one to get ulcers. But it might not be. The need for pain relief just has to be weighed against the potential of ulcers. That's a real personal decision.

Anybody with more information about amount of use vs. ulcers? Maybe that's a dumb question-- because everyone is different!

BTW ( as I ramble along) I know someone who developed the ulcers because her gastric acid was too high after surgery and she had to have a nerve cut to stop it. There are so many possibilities....confuses the heck out of one! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/28/09  10:43am
" Sorry to be a 'frequest poster" so soon- but thought I should add some bio. I guess I"m one of those exceptions who's never had a problem. I take meds I need, eat and drink everything I did before the surgery. Even sweets. Drink coffee all the time. I've also kept off the 110 pounds I lost.
I certainly don't want to 'rub it in' to people who have problems. God forbid! I am eternally thankful for my good result. I"d really like to inspire people to hope that they might be one of the people who sail through it. Even if you're having a problem- it may be your last problem, so don't get discouraged. Good luck to everyone! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/28/09  12:34pm
" I can totally believe that about your surgeon. I had the best around. But that is just what he is...a surgeon. They dont want to follow you long term. They want to do what they do best (surgery) and be done with you. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but not for all of use. I have gotten little to no answers from my surgeon and that is why I came here and have gotten a wealth of information from you guys. Also, my primary physician has helped me a great deal. I would talk to whoever I had to talk to to get my answers. I do, however, feel that there are going to be times in our lives when we are going to have to take NSAIDS and it cannot be avoided. As long as you take them with food (to protect your stomach) and dont over take them and do so with your doctor's knowledge and recommendation, I dont see any problem with it. There are lots of things they say we can and cannot do after surgery and we all know there are things we do that we are not supposed to...good, bad or indifferent. Good luck to you and I hope you find the answers you need!! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web