What kind of foods can I eat?
I just got diagnosed with gall stones yesterday and the doctor told me to eat a low fat diet, does anyone know what are some decent things to eat that are low in fat because i'm having a terrible time finding stuff to eat. i tried jello, but it makes me nauseous, and i don't know what percent fat content is a good amount. some advice would be great if anyone knows.

casey
Posted on 01/16/09, 09:26 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Gallstones. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/17/09  6:26am
" Hi Casey,

I was diagnosed with gallstones on Thursday after a scan and was told to not eat dairy products...cheese, milk etc. I've suffered with pain for quite some time and now know what triggers pain. I cannot tolerate anything greasy, so no fried food anymore. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, pasta and rice. Keep away from spicy foods aswell. I still eat bread and meat but not excessively.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jules x "
Reply #2 - 01/17/09  8:56pm
" thank you soooo much, that helps a ton, all they told me was to not eat fatty foods??!! i thought to myself, well that's broad, lol. for the past few days i've been eating nothing but jello and wheat bread plain. but i did figure out somewhat the dairy products on my own, before i was diagnosed i had decided to splurge for breakfast one morning, i had: eggs, toast with butter, and chocolate milk!!! that was the worst attack i have ever had and i had no clue what it was, i thought i was having a heart attack. is there any kind of sweets that we can eat? i see that u'r a woman and i am craving because of pms and i am afraid to eat anything sweet. thanks again.

casey "
Reply #3 - 01/18/09  5:24am
" Hi Casey,

I also crave suger when I'm due a period and I'm still eating chocolate and I can't say that I've had pain afterwards. Wouldn't over do it though, eat it in moderation. One of my worst attacks was after eating a McDonald's, I blamed the food but then realised I'd had a milk shake with it and now know it was that, so high quautities of milk is definitely out for me. I'm seeing a gastric specialist at hospital tomorrow and I'm going to ask him for advice on what I can and can't eat. I will keep you updated.

Jules x "
Reply #4 - 01/18/09  8:20am
" I know what you mean about craving sweet stuff. I have the exact same problem. I know of a couple of kinds of candy that are fat free but satisfy a sweet tooth. Mike & Ike are good, and come in different flavor assortments. I love the Tropical Typhoon assortment. Also strawberry twizzlers are fat free. Then there are some recipes out there that are fat free. My father makes cookies that are fat free called chocolate meringue cookies. Yum! I could get you the recipe if you want. There are also some sweet things that are low in fat. Nilla Wafer cookies have only 2 grams per 8 cookies. Rice Krispies Treats have only 2.5 grams per bar (the original size, not the bigger kind). Also, for cooking recipes, use substitues for the butter and eggs. Mom uses Smart Balance for butter and egg substitute for eggs, otherwise I get twinges. I'll let you know of anything else I think of. "
Reply #5 - 01/18/09  10:19am
" I read somewhere that like .8% fat is what you're looking for. I find that to be...quite difficult to achieve. I would stick with less than 3%, eat NO dairy, NO fried stuff.

My main source of food has been fat free corn chips and mild fat free salsa, bagels with fat free cream cheese (light spreading).

I've also been chewing my food REALLY REALLY well...think mama bird feeding a baby bird well.
1. This makes me feel full and I don't overeat.
2. If most of your digestion takes place in your mouth, I figure it can't hurt to keep my food in there longer, emulsify more fats, make the liver/gall bladder do less work.

Just a "personal theory" at this point, but no attacks so far. "
Reply #6 - 01/27/11  8:06am
" My nan has just been told by the hospital to go on a fat free diet due to gallstones i found this website which i believe is very helpful.

hope this helps "
Reply #7 - 02/08/11  10:40pm
" They said fat free milk, which I already do, fish oil, which I already do, fresh fruits, no red meat, small frequent meals, no greasy fried foods. "
Reply #8 - 02/08/11  10:46pm
" Terri, I looked up that site. It is awesome! Thanks. I did great today! "
Reply #9 - 05/14/11  7:33pm
" Hi Casey,
I was diagnosed with Gallstones last December and I have to change my diet to low fat food (although I still slack off once in awhile) but here are some of the food I have to avoid: fatty food esp meat, cheese, eggs, SALTY food, chocolates, mayonnaise, butter and chips. I get to eat more fish, vegetables and fruits. Apple juice helps a lot too! After a change in diet, I did not suffer acute pain anymore--the same kind of pain you described.

Good luck and take care! "
Reply #10 - 06/23/11  9:41pm
" Hi casey,

I havn't had the official diagnosis of gallstones yet but I have had to maintain a low fat diet. My advice is make a diary of what food you have eaten and if you know foods you cannot eat then stay away from them. At the moment I am eating foods with around 4g of fat or less per 100g and it seems to be keeping the attacks away. Also if you want to eat eggs then don't eat the yolks as they have all the fat in them, the whites are mostly made up of protein so you should be able to eat them, though this may be different for you so just listen to what you body is telling you. "