Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
reflux after gallbladder removal
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago due to it only functioning at 19% and having constant pain and nausea when I would eat. at first,my docs thought it was from my steroid use (I also have dermatomyositis). So we did a quick taper off my steroid and started me on nexium. All that did was make my DM symptoms worse and didnt really seem to help with the pain and nausea.

I was referred to a GI doc who ordered a stomach ct and abdominal ultrasound. The stomact CT was fine but the ultrasound showed some "sludge" in my gallbaldder so he referred me to a surgeon. In the meantime, I was in the ER for the pain and the doc there ordered a HIDA scan to check my gallbladder function. That came back at only 19% and so that combined with my symptoms made us think removing the gallbladde would help my problems.

I am also scheduled for a endocsopy but not until Dec. 1st.

The recovery from the gallbaldder removal has been much worse than I anticipated. Yesterday I started having a lot of reflux. I started back on my Protonix today. Will see if that helps. My GI doc had mentioned H. Pylori possibly being a culprit and plans to check for that when I have my scope. I called in mid October to make the appointment and Dec. 1 was the first opening. That has been very frustrating.

I am just starting to feel that I will never feel normal again and that maybe removing my gb wasnt the right thing to do. However, I will say that the pain I seemed to have where my GB was is gone but just to be replaced by new pain.

I'm very frightened at all the changes going in in my body. The myositis and now all this stomach/digestion pain.
Posted on 11/13/11, 12:40 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for GERD & Heartburn. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/13/11  11:23pm
" angie1026, Obviously everyone reacts differently, it took me a couple of weeks after having my gallbladder removed to get over the pain, I was getting some acid reflux but that seems to have settled. It was coming on when I ate onions, tomatoes, chocolate and drank caffine. I have gone off these now. I had my operation about 6 months ago and the first few weeks I felt the same as you, should have I done it. I then thought is gone so there is not much I can do about it now. Hope you get better soon and keep us posted. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/14/11  8:31pm
" Hi angie I too am a GERD sufferer after gallbladder removal. You can ask me anything about it if you want. I would advise you to keep taking the Protonix. I had big trouble when I stopped my PPI after my gallbladder was removed. I had a massive acid reflux which led to oesophaghitis and severe chest pains. I went in hospital many times,vomiting,pain and hardly able to eat. It led to gastritis and a hiatus hernia. Im still suffering over two years later. I hope you can keep it in check. Now I get good days but it flares up if I have coffee,chocolate or fizzy drinks etc. The pain is so bad then. Im meant to be having a ph test for the acid next then maybe an op. I did have a stomach ulcer before the gallbladder removal and have the hiatus hernia. I wouldnt worry as you prob havent got the other things I have. Reflux is awful though. I hope your endoscopy doesn't show anything. The gallbladder causes lots of problems,you can't keep it with bad pain. We had no choice but to get rid. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/02/12  5:56pm
" Hi all. I had my gall bladder removed in 2008. Ever since then I've had horrible GI problems. One of them is GERD. I had a HIDA scan which showed some troubles with my gall bladder, so they removed it. I regret that decision. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web