Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Zypan Digestive Enzymes
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
We were recommended Zypan digestive enzymes today by a clinical nutritionist at a supplemental store. Apparently, the Omeprazole my mother had been taking so long - killed off all the stomach acid and her food just ferments causing bloating and gas. The bloating causes severe stomach distention that is very uncomfortable. My mother (71) was taking TwinLabs, but as of today we changed her to Zypan to help digest her food better. Has anyone else had any luck with Zypan? The clinical nutritionist in the store said at one time she had low stomach acid that caused severe bloating. After she took the Zypan with every meal - two - three at a time - within several weeks the bloating was entirely gone. Anyone else tried Zypan??
Posted on 04/29/11, 07:24 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for GERD & Heartburn. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/30/11  5:59am
" Who makes Zypan? I've been on PPI's forever and the alternative is to live with incredible chest pain and fading voice from acid eating my vocal chords (my ex-husband would find that a plus). I tried a product 3 weeks ago, called Ultimate Flora, sold in the refrigerated case at the health food store. I bought it to try and help the slowed-down digestion that I was experiencing. A miracle product and I didn't have to take the Nexium quite as often, I could take it once every other day. I have tried many, many times to get off PPI's but always go back. Helping the digestion with probiotics and digestive enzymes has been a big help. I haven't eaten meat for over 25 years and I don't miss the bloating and pain that causes. The Ultimate Flora that I started with is a 7 day course with individual packets of powder (tasteless) that you can add to water, juices or put over your food (not hod food, though). It was 28.95 and worth every penny. I have stepped down to the next level and it is working as well. I had taken a long course of Cipro last year because of ischemic colitis (the dr wanted to remove my colon, I said no) and I have been fighting yeast and stomach miseries ever since until I found this product. Back to your original thought, look at the side effects for omeprazole. The latest info shows that malabsorption is a huge problem that causes all kinds of misery of malnutrition; lack of magnesium, b12, etc. Very bad for seniors (that's me). I knew that old age brought misery, just had no clue how much. The only thing I would add is to cut down on red meat. It just takes too long to digest and there are better sources of protein. Good luck, let us know how it works out. Hugs, Patti "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/05/11  3:45pm
" Zypan is by Standard Process. It is generally restricted for sale through health providers, but I have seen it on Amazon.com It is amazing--I have many patients taking it--you can eat red meat again, just like when you were a youngster! If you have any ulcers, (apple cider vinegar in water or 1 Zypan will definitely let you know!), then repair those first using a product containing n-acetyl glucosamine (NAG), gamma oryzanol, deglycerrhizinated licorice..... many companies make this type of product. DGL-Plus is the name of the one I use in my practice. Fresh cabbage juice and coleslaw are good for keeping the stomach from ulcers in the future. H. pylori bacteria tend to thrive in alkaline pH, so the stomach needs to be acidic and break down your food to make it ready for the small intestine. With adequate acid and enzymes (from Zypan), your food won't sit there and ferment, putrefy, or go rancid.... sorry, but truth is truth. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/19/11  3:52am
" I was on Nexium for so long that it also stopped my stomach from producing acid completely (I also suffer from anxiety which causes the digestive system to shut down)
After I stopped taking Nexium I had a feeling of trapped air too which was sometimes quite painful so I started taking Digestive Enzymes (not by Zypan, but something I found here in Australia) and after a couple of weeks I was able to start eating properly again. I don't eat red meat but it does help to digest chicken and other proteins I eat.

I wouldn't suggest living off the enzymes because it can make your stomach lazy (not producing the enzymes itself) but I would recommend it if you do have a feeling of trapped air or pain in your stomach. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web