Hoarseness and Clearing Throat constantly normal?
I have just been diagnosed with GERD and I'm taking Prilosec prescription. My question is how long does this hoarseness last? I have had this for almost two months. Is this normal or will it go away?
Posted on 03/08/09, 07:40 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for GERD & Heartburn. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 03/11/09  8:57am
" Did your doctor tell you how to treat Gred? Besides the prilosec?

Prilosec is used before a meal i believe. Also there are dit modifications you needs to watch.

No spices, salty foods, acidy foods, caffeine, oils, alcohol..to name the most prominet cursors to acid reflux.

Grrr most doctors won't tell us these this. mine didn't..had to find out another way. "
Reply #2 - 03/11/09  12:35pm
" I had it for about a month and it slowly went away. I agree with Snoozeis49 as my doctor never told me what I should not eat. He gave me a piece of paper with a short list of do's and don'ts but it was like 3 items on the list. I had to get research off the Internet myself and do trial and error. Do you take a Pro Biotic? If not you should look into taking some. They work great. Plus with the voice being hoarse try not to talk with it like that. It makes it worse. I notice when I drink tea with honey that made it a little better. But it does take time for it to come back. I would say by month 2 it was back to normal. So try not to talk as much.
Take care,
MASHlover "
Reply #3 - 03/14/09  7:28am
" Mine hasn't gone away yet and it's been over a year. I guess everyone is different and also I have what is called degenerative disc disease in my neck and where it affects is partlly my throat and swallowing so this doesn't help. I have 2 different things going on "
Reply #4 - 03/27/09  10:49am
" My hoarseness/no voice lasted about 4 months. Your doctor can give you stuff to drink that helps with the pain (carafate or sucrate are 2 I've had).

I agree with MA SHIover -- don't talk makes it worse. I resorted to a portable whiteboard. Lots of fun at work, especially in meetings --not, but as long as I tried to talk my voice didn't heal. "
Reply #5 - 03/27/09  12:55pm
" All the advice is good so far, but I wanted to just add one thing. Raise the head of your bed. Don't just use pillows. Either get blocks to put under the feet at the head of your bed, or a wedge, or an adjustable bed. You need to raise the whole torso. That has helped me. My hoarseness isn't gone yet, but it's much better after a few weeks of doing this. Good luck! "
Reply #6 - 03/27/09  6:58pm
" Thanks for the advice. I have been hoarse for almost 3 months. I'm sooooo over this!!! My stomach rumbles and I also feel gassy and bloated and its after every meal and my meals are small. "
Reply #7 - 04/19/09  12:24am
" I GET IT NOW AND AGAIN BUT NOT FOR 2 STRAIGHT MONTHS! HAVE YOU TOLD YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THIS? IF NOT, I THINK YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING SO. LET ME KNOW THE OUTCOME. IT JUST DOESN'T SOUND NORMAL AT ALL. P.S. MAKE SURE TO TAKE THE PRILOSEC 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO EATING ANY FOOD. "
Reply #8 - 04/19/09  12:28am
" I FORGOT TO ADD A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT OTHER PEOPLE REMEMBERED TO TELL YOU. RAISE YOUR BED 6 INCHES. PILLOWS ARE A NO NO, THE BED HAS TO BE RAISED. ALSO, THERE IS A VERY SPECIAL DIET FOR ACID REFLUX/GERD. YOU CAN GET IT ON THE INTERNET OR I KNOW IT BY HEART. I'VE BEEN ON THE DIET FOR 2 YEARS NOW. ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP, WERE HERE TO HELP IF WE CAN. "