surgery; should I do it?
Because my acid reflux is so out of control and I am on triple the dose of meds, my doctor wants me to have the heartburn surgery where they take your stomach and wrap it around your esophugus. I met with the surgeon a couple weeks ago but I have to admit it scares the you-know- what out of me. Has anyone had this type of surgery and can you give me any advice or pros and cons please!
Posted on 01/06/12, 12:34 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for GERD & Heartburn. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/12/12  8:54pm
" I had the surgery one week ago. I was scared and nervous like you. I was so miserable though and really pretty desperate. So far, so good for me. I am still having pain on on of the surgical sites but NO heartburn, vomiting, reflux, coughing or choking since the procedure. I read so many different things and knew the risks going in so I feel lucky to be doing this well so far. I'm not advocating surgery for you by any means. Just sharing my story. Ask your surgeon what his success rate has been. Best wishes to you! "
Reply #2 - 01/12/12  11:03pm
" http://www.newportnaturalhealth.com...
Try a naturalpath and or chiropractor first. They have helped me greatly. They can pull the stomach muscle down and help close the valve. Also Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar helps. You need acid to digest food and taking it out you deplete all the vitamins and minerals. Doctors have it wrong by making you take the meds. When we get older and stress causes acid depletion and that opens the stomach valve. A good probiotic and digestive enzyme do wonders. Read this article first as well. My doctor told me it would make my digestion worse. And you have anxiety. That can make the stomach very distressed. Calm the anxiety calm the stomach. I wouldn't be so quick to run to surgery because it's not always the answer. Try other routes first. "
Reply #3 - 01/23/12  4:23pm
" I had the Nissan Fundoplacation back in 2001, and have been
symptom free ever since. I did experience a lot of discomfort and
loose stools for a while. For me it was worth it. "
Reply #4 - 01/23/12  5:53pm
" Thanks Chris! I am curious, have you had any problems with food getting "stuck" or bloating problems? Also, my other main concern is that I heard when you are sick with something like the stomach flu that you can't throw up if you need to and so that can cause additional problems. Have you had any experiences witht his, if you don't mind my asking? "
Reply #5 - 01/24/12  1:14pm
" I had Nissen Fundoplication done in 2003. it completely changed my life.... for the better. I feel like a completely different person. If I could go back in time I'd have had the surgery done a long time before I did. I had trouble with bloating and had to make dietary changes. They were pretty easy adjustments. Prior to the surgery I was completely miserable. Quite honestly, I wanted to die. I never had trouble with food getting stuck but I did have a little trouble with pills once in a while. I learned to adapt. It is definitely life changing but for me it was for the better...much better. I had advanced Barrett's esophagus and was miserable before. Since the surgery, I have had heartburn twice. Once giving birth and once in early pregnancy with my 2nd baby. I've been sick a coupple of times and nothing comes up. you just have the dry heaves. No fun but not too horrible. I attribute my success to having a phenomenal surgeon (Dr. Lee Swanstrom in Portland, OR). He is definitely a pioneer in his field and world renowned for his superior results. I think a good surgeon is critical. I'd be happy to answer any question you might have about my experience. Good Luck!! "