Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
table sugar
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
We just found out that our 8 year old daughter is fructose intolerant. Do you know if table sugar is bad for her? We have see conflicting information on this topic.
Thanks
Posted on 03/27/07, 07:42 pm
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Fructose Intolerance. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/09/07  6:52pm
" I am not allertic to it, but I think it depends on where you buy it, the brand, and things like that. Just make sure that it doesn't have any fructose, citric acid, or anything else related to fruit in it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/20/08  3:26am
" I agree with aday8. I haven't had any problems with regular table sugar...however, brown sugar has molasses in it and confectioners sugar has corn powder in it...both no-nos. Also no honey, corn syrup or High Fructose corn syrup. I also have not had problems with Splenda. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/25/08  4:58pm
" I get varying advice on table sugar. From what I have researched, a true intolerance means no table sugar at all, because the body has no ability to process the fructose that is in it. But, if what your daughter has is fructose malabsorption, then table sugar may be tolerated, because it is half fructose and half glucose. Apparently, the glucose helps digest the fructose.

As for corn syrup, I understand it is all glucose, so it should be okay. High-fructose corn syrup is half fructose, half-glucose, so, in theory, should be tolerated the same as table sugar. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/03/08  7:24pm
" Hi! I can handle very very small amounts of table sugar but to be safe I try to stick to cane sugar. But again, very small amounts. Splenda is a BIG no for me. However, I can have sweet'n'low or sugar twin or aspartame.
I suggest being safe and sticking to dextrose! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/25/09  12:55pm
" Splenda is made with chlorine. I prefer to leave the bleach for the laundry. You may not think you have any problems with Splenda but give it time, they will show up. Besides which, it is fattening. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/27/09  10:31pm
" hi there i am fructose intolerant. any kind of sugar is bad except dextrose. i can take in 1 gram of sugar per day but not all at once, it needs to b in different servings. i have been struggling with this my whole life. i am only 14 but i know how hard it is. tell your daughter that she is not alone. and trying out smarties. they have dextrose in them so they're really the only candy that she can have that is easy to find. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/18/09  12:18pm
" If your daughter has HFI she would develop a very strong aversion for sweet-tasting food whether they have fructose/sucrose/sorbitol or not. I think that HFI people can eat table sugar, but the best way is to actually eat what they please. For example, I don't eat anything sweet and i always disliked vegetables like tomatoes and peppers and I didn't know why, even though I knew whole my life that i have fructose intolerance. Recently i figured out that many vegetables contains fructose and I finally understood why I disliked them. Unfortunately whole my life I had to struggle with my parents who made me eat those vegetables because they are "healthy". I'm 22 years old now. The thing is that food that are healthy for people without HFI are not necessarily healthy for us. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/23/09  4:33pm
" My daughter can eat some table sugar. I don't overdue it. a little seems to be fine. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web