Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
5-HTP
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I recently heard that this suppliment can be helpful for people who suffer with anxiety and food addiction.I've been doing research on it for a couple of days, and I know theres no "magic pill" but it sounds like it may be a good tool in getting better. I began taking 50mg a day yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, for this purpose
Posted on 02/06/09, 03:04 pm
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Food Addiction. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/06/09  6:43pm
" Well what is this supplement? I take a natural appetite supressent I go from the natural food store. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/08/09  10:19am
" I'ts like the natural version of prozac. It helps you if you have a serotonin deficiency, which most people with overeating issues do. It helps the body to produce more serotonin and so far its amazing (and I've only been on in three days). For the first time in like 3 years, I went to bed last night without eating dessert...i simply didn't want it. And its not an appetite suppressant. it just makes you feel the signal of being "full" more than you did before ( I know that sounds like an appetite suppressant, but its diff). The rest of the day I ate fairly normal, but I didnt feel as compelled to eat as I did before...I will keep you updated on how its working, but I already feel like a diff person...its bizarre, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/08/09  10:20am
" The supplement is 5-HTP sorry ha "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/08/09  5:21pm
" I heard that you should not take this if you are taking other psychotrophic drugs for depression. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/09/09  10:24pm
" Blackbird, yay that you have been free for a couple of days! I sincerely hope it continues! This website's support along with some products that I have never heard of before (like the weight loss CDs that also help a relationship with food) make me really hopeful!! Please keep us updated I sincerely hope your results are ongoing!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/11/09  8:40am
" 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5-HTP)is a compound which allows your body to create more of the amino acid called tryptophan. Tryptophan is needed for your body to produce serotonin. When you dont have enough serotonin in your system, you can suffer from anxiety, depression and other mood disorders.

So - 5HTP lets your body create tryptophan, tryptophan allows your body to create serotonin and serotonin regulates mood.

A HUGE word of caution - 5HTP should NEVER be taken is you are on any SSRI or SNRI class drug (anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med). The combination of the two can result in too much serotonin being created and a fatal condition called "serotonin syndrome" can happen rather quickly.

Basically - 5HTP is the natural alternative to an antidepressant. Useful for some, not at all for others. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/11/09  10:16am
" i have started using this today. i will keep you updated on my progress. i feel pretty good right now though. very happy and warm feeling. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/11/09  12:22pm
" Like and SSRI - it takes 4-6 weeks for you to feel the effects of 5HTP "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/11/09  10:50pm
" So far life has been a bit easier with 5-htp. I like that it still allows me to feel emotions (unlike when I was on prozac) but at the same time it curbs a good deal of my anxiety. Its like I still feel negative emotions but now I can just handle them a lot more rationally. I feel like i have the ability to choose my food a little bit more wisely. It is by no means the end of all my problems ha but it seems to be a good tool. I'ts been a little less than a week now and I seem to be doing quite a bit better. Time will tell...and thank you to those who posted about the ssri's. I am not currently on any but its good that its posted none the less in case anyone curious about trying it "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/11/09  11:47pm
" I have a hard time believing that it takes a week for 5 -HTP to give results. I felt the effects of the dose I took today about 30 min-1 hour and then I continued to feel it until midday, and it almsot came in 2 distinct waves. It was a slight buzzing feeling like I needed to get up and run, kind of like I had an adrenaline rush. I actually didn't like it too much. I wouldn't reccommend it. I can see how it helps reduce cravings, however between the waves of adrenaline feelings, I felt as though I could eat. I personnally am going to try to stick to using my own personal strength. That way if I can't afford the pills or they are not available I will not fall back on old bad habits. I know it is tempting to pop a pill adn all your troubles will be gone, but it might be a better builder of your character to stay away from pills. Think of how proud you will be of yourself knowing that YOU did it, not some cupplement company. I hope this is helpful and not a bad reply. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web