Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
OA or FA?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone know the difference between Overeaters Anonymous (OA) and Food Addicts (in recovery) Anonymous (FA)? I have been thinking for a while now that it's past time for me to look into something like OA; and then I discovered FA meetings in my community as well.

Are they similar? Does anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks!
:-)
Posted on 08/07/07, 12:45 am
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Food Addiction. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/07/07  9:46am
" I hope I am correct in what I think but OA asks you to have a desire to stop eating compulsively and during meetings there does not seem to be alot of talk about eating certain foods that keep you in the disease as they put it. You have your own food plan and it's more just not eating compulsively. Food Addicts I think is a little more restrictive where I think they talk much about not eating certain foods that cause a chain reaction in the body to keep you in the disease. I think this is right, I've looked into both, but in my area there is not a group that has alot of recovery in it, so I do not go anymore. My bad "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/07/07  1:13pm
" I never even heard of FA...I hope you get more replies cause I was gonna post asking people about OA and their experiences today! Thanks for posting :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/07/07  5:49pm
" OA is different in different areas and even different from meeting to meeting. I was involved for many years and it was very helpful. I have been considering going back but have moved and I am worried about what meetings are in this area. Some OA meetings are very strict with "no flour, no sugar" products. Some are so restrictive you have to follow a very specific meal plan and talk to your sponsor after each meal. Other meetings (the ones i attended) are much less restrictive and focus on compulsive eating, the 12 steps, recovery and sharing. I found these experiences to be absolutely incredible. I lost 90lbs and have kept it off for 10yrs. Now the lbs are creeping back up and im starting to feel out of control and considering going back. The program gave me invaluable tools to deal with my addiction and compulsive eating. it is not perfect, but it works. i know nothing about FA and i have never heard of it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/07/07  9:24pm
" There is a diet that goes with OA. I have a copy if some one wants a copy. It is rather strict. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/08/07  12:22pm
" OA is more like AA. It's a 12 step program and you talk about recovery etc.

FA is very restrictive and you have to go to 3 meetings a week and you have to talk to your sponsor every morning to tell him/her what you will be eating for the day (no carbs and very little protein). My girlfriend started going bald due to lack of protein. It's like 800 calories a day and 4 oz of protein. If you have a slip, you have to start over and are chastised really bad. There is no grace. They are really tough. After 90 days of perfection, you may speak at a meeting if invited to do so. Some people like this strict thing and checking in with a general every day. Also, if you want to have stringbeans instead of squash for lunch you have to get in touch with your sponsor and get permission to deviate from your planned food. I would go nuts with FA! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/09/07  7:51pm
" Wow, I did not realise that these meetings were so strict, sounds a bit severe to me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/09/07  9:31pm
" I have also heard TOPS(Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is amazing. I have a friend who was 300lbs overweight and is now 160lbs! He speaks all over the country about the program now. It seems like a smart and supportive group. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/12/07  10:16pm
" I went to an OA meeting many years ago...I was freaked at the meeting because of some of the stories I heard about what people did and ate. The meeting I was at you could mention food and they did not want you to eat anything white. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/12/07  10:57pm
" The white food thing is because the more something is processed, the whiter it is.

It is a way to an end. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/22/09  7:35pm
" Can someone tell me the diet that they use for FA? I know it is No Flour No Sugar "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web