How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Flesh-Eating Bacteria Information

Necrotizing fasciitis or fasciitis necroticans, commonly known as "flesh-eating bacteria", is a rare infection of the deeper layers of skin and subcutaneous tissues (fascia). Many types of bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis (eg. Group A streptococcus, Vibrio vulnificus, Clostridium perfringens, Bacteroides fragilis), of which Group A streptococcus is the most common cause.

The infection occasionally starts with pharyngitis (sore throat), but more often begins locally, at a site of trauma, which may be severe (such as the result of surgery), minor, or even non-apparent. The affected skin is very painful, red, hot and swollen. Skin color may progress to violet and blisters may form, with subsequent necrosis (death) of subcutaneous tissues. Patients with necrotizing fasciitis typically have a fever and appear very ill. More severe cases progress within hours, and the death rate is high, about 25%.

The diagnosis is confirmed by either blood cultures or aspiration of pus from tissue. Early medical treatment is crucial. Treatment often includes intravenous penicillin, vancomycin and clindamycin. If necrotizing fasciitis is suspected, surgical exploration is always necessary, often resulting in aggressive debridement (removal of infected tissue). Amputation of the affected organ(s) may be necessary.

Health Blogs

I have a very close family friend, and she is the Secretary of Health for the state of Washington. She was asked what the number one thing was that she thought could change the quality of health of Americans. I expected her answer to be a cure for cancer, or a reduction in obesity. Her answer? Wash your hands. She is one of the growing number ... Read More »
I’m sure many of you have heard my rants about the direction our health care system is going. You’ve heard my concerns of the number of children who are under-insured or who have no insurance here in the U.S. Solutions are complicated, and financial resources are more than limited, when state and federal cutbacks are mentioned each and every ... Read More »
1. Adult vaccinations: The resurgence of whooping cough (pertussis) in California is a potent reminder that adults need immunization as well. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that adults 65 years and younger have a Tetanus, diptheria and pertussis (Td/Tdap) vaccination every 10 years. ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement