Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Albuterol for weight lose
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone had any expience with this. It was suggested to me and I may consider it after some more reseach. any info would be helpful thanks in advance
Posted on 05/08/08, 07:53 am
18 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fitness Goals. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/08/08  8:05am
" Personally, I don't know why someone would recommend Albuterol for weight loss, it's an asthma medication. It acts a brochodialator. Maybe they said glenbuterol? Glen is an anabolic steroid. I have never heard of or read about albuterol and weight loss. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/08/08  8:05am
" oops...bronchodialator "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/08/08  8:08am
" yes i had it right if you look it up on wikipedia it has info on it for weight loss. it has something to do with increased aerobic stamania and fat burning "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/08/08  8:14am
" [edit] Diet and bodybuilding use
Salbutamol is taken by some as an alternative to Clenbuterol for purposes of fat burning.[2]

In numerous animal studies it has been shown that heart damage has occurred in animals given doses of clenbuterol over extended periods of time. With albuterol, no such damage has ever been demonstrated. This may be due to the length of time that a user is exposed to the drug and therefore the likelihood that damage could occur. Many online bodybuilding and sculpting related websites address these issues and the positive and negative effects on humans, most of which show extensive positive results with little to no side effects unlike clenbuterol.[citation needed]

Dosage recommendations vary between most users, given that use of salbutamol for this purpose is considered abuse by most pharmacologists and doctors little to no actual scientific or medical data is available. Doses generally start in the range of 2mg per day, escalating to a maximum of 16mg per day or where side effects are noticed.[citation needed] "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/08/08  1:55pm
" Well, yes, that makes some sense about aerobic stamina. I don't know enough about it to even make an opinion...I think it would be a waste of time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/08/08  1:58pm
" A side note...as a medical professional...I would actually rather see someone use anabolic steroids than asthma medicine as a weight loss medication. I am in no way, however, condoning the use of ANY medication to lose weight. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/08/08  7:42pm
" My question to you is what are you currently doing with exercise and diet towards weight loss and why are you considering something artificial to lose weight?

Barring medical issues, or medications which have a side effect of weight gain, a person can do quite well in losing weight and becoming much fitter by a good solid exercise routine with plenty of cardio combined with a clean way of eating.

It may not be as easy as other methods or quick fix diets, but it will last you. Once you are exercising regularly and eating clean foods, it will be as easy and automatic as breathing. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/08/08  11:11pm
" How could an asthma medication help someone lose weight? My only thought is someone with asthma could exercise longer if they are breathing better.

Where did you get this suggestion from? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/09/08  7:54am
" I'm going to add my 2 cents. While albuterol may help you lose weight (heck, it even can decrease appetite), it's not a great idea. It's a side effect. Almost every medication has an effect on weight and eating as a side effect, but that doesn't mean you should use them for that purpose. With the number of other side effects from albuterol - tremors, anxiety, headaches, dizziness, tachycardia, palpitations, coughing, wheezing, bronchospasms... - I can't imagine why you would even consider it.

Don't forget the drug interactions. You must not take it if you are on an MAOI or a tricyclic antidepressant. You should be careful if you are on a beta-blocker. If you take any kind of diuretic - prescription or otherwise - you could put yourself into hypokalemia.

I have as of yet to hear of a doctor prescribing it for such a purpose (I don't know about elsewhere, but in the US, it is prescription only). But if you are that interested in it, talk to your doctor. (S)he will be best suited to help you make that decision.

Just 2 cents from a soon-to-be nurse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/09/08  4:41pm
" You know, if there were a magic drug to lose weight, everyone would know about it and the world would be thin clones of each other. But every person is different, drugs interact differently, and diet/exercise are the only thing that can truly help you lose weight or maintain. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web