Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
In Category: Treatments
Discussion:
Pseudoephedrine for Fibro
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have been taking pseudoephedrine for a sinus infection. It is found in many over-the-counter sinus congestion meds.
The surprising thing is that my fibro pain is nearly gone!! I believe it narrows the blood vessels and brings down the inflammation in the nasal passages.

Could it be possible that it is helping with my fibro pain????

Has anyone ever experienced this before??

Emmaji
Posted on 07/20/09, 01:04 am
24 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/21/09  3:08pm
" I've not tried Sudafed; but----I took Benadryl one day for the sneezes :) and I noticed that I didn't hurt so much. Maybe there's something to antihistamines. I think I'll do some more research. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/21/09  3:32pm
" Where I live you have to buy pseudoephedrine products from the pharmacy but I will say it gives me that natural type energy.So maybe that's what is helping your pain,the extra energy not sure but that sounds interesting.Maybe I will give it a try. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/21/09  6:19pm
" Please keep me posted re: your research, and thanks for the feeback!

Emmaji "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/21/09  6:21pm
" I know it gives me energy, but so does caffeine and it doesn't take my pain away. Thanks for your response. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/25/09  6:12pm
" i am in the proccess of gett
ing adderall for cronic fatigue.i am having trouble getting my insurance to pay for it.maybe sudafed will help.270 dollars for adderall if insurance wont pay. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/27/09  4:37am
" I think most insurance will pay for Adderall after your doctor sends in the prior authorization forms. You may have to do that every six months. That's what we had to do for my daughter because her doctor prescribed it for her although she was 19.

I've never noticed any decrease in pain from pseudoephedrine, although I haven't taken any for the last few years because it makes my heart rate increase, and I already have a problem with rapid heart rate. But it is a really interesting idea. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/04/09  2:11pm
" Red wine, DayQuil and NyQuil help me. DayQuil and NyQuil do not have psyeudoepedrine in them. I think NyQuil helps because it helps me get a good night's sleep. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/04/09  2:31pm
" In my research of doctors who are doing the most research on fibro and treatments, I found that people with fibro produce too much histamine, especially when we do more than we are used to doing. Histamine causes muscle pain. So I asked my doctor for an antihistamine and he put me on Allegra. I happen to have good insurance and can afford it but an antihistamine will work to some degree. I take benadryl at night. I wondered why my pain was better during the day taking Allegra but I still woke up with pain. I realized the Allegra didn't last 24 hours so I started taking Benadryl before bed and to my amazement, the pain in the morning was much less severe. So I believe there is a definite link to histamine and muscle pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/04/09  3:28pm
" Antihistamines stop inflammation, as does Benadryl. Also taking Benadryl at night gives a better , deeper night's sleep and full sleep alwawys helps muscle pain too. I can see where it would help, the drawback would be if you have high Blood pressure, these things will drive it up more, so be careful if high BP is a problem. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/04/09  5:51pm
" Thank you comments #8 and 9. I am going to try both Allegra and Benadryl. My blood pressure is on the low side, so it should be OK. I'll keep you posted as for the results. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web