Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
In Category: Treatments
Discussion:
Pau D'Arco
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
A friend of mine got me some of this and said I needed to start taking it to build my immune system up. I was reading about it this morning and came across this article:

Pau d'Arco Benefits

Pau d'Arco is a natural herb retrieved from the inner bark of the taheebo tree. Tabebuia Avellanedae or Tabebuia Impetiginosa, known as taheebo. The taheebo tree, scientifically known as Tabebuia Avellandae or Tabebuia Impetiginosa, is grown predominantly in Central and South America, but may also be cultivated in southern Florida. Pau d'Arco is known by many other names including ipe roxo and lapacho or lapachol.

Pau d'Arco is known to strengthen the body's immune system, especially a weakened immune system due to one of many factors such as: chronic fatigue syndome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS or ME), fibromyalgia (FMS), Candida Albicans overgrowth (candidiasis, oral thrush, vaginal yeast infection, etc.), cancer and tumors, viruses such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV, cause of AIDS), anti-biotic use, steroid use, etc.

Pau d'Arco not only helps the body recover, but additionally, its compounds such as lapacho fight against the cause of many ailments, including many of which were listed above as threats to the immune system. Pau d'Arco is a known treatment for: candida and other fungus, viruses such as polio and influenza, arthritis, diabetes, parasites, bacteria, cancer, liver disease, fever, venereal and rheumatic disorders, skin disorders such as eczema, herpes and the mange, and more.
Posted on 06/05/09, 12:08 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/05/09  2:51pm
" I don't have any experience with this one. When I have a question on herbs or supplements I post in this group and the natural alternatives group.
Here is a link to the natural alternatives group.

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups...

Hope it works for you.
Hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/05/09  4:11pm
" Natural, it should always be remembered, does not mean there are no side effects, or even that it's not harmful. As always, I give you poison ivy and hemlock for just two examples.

I got the following from another website - the link is below:

Most such supplements have not been tested to find out if they interact with medicines, foods, or other herbs and supplements. Even though some reports of interactions and harmful effects may be published, full studies of interactions and effects are not often available. Because of these limitations, any information on ill effects and interactions below should be considered incomplete.

Pau d'arco has some potentially serious side effects. Some of the chemicals in pau d'arco, such as hydroquinone, are known to be toxic. High doses taken internally may cause liver and kidney damage. In animal studies, birth defects and deaths occurred among rats whose mothers were given lapachol during pregnancy. Pau d'arco should be avoided, especially by women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Even low doses of pau d'arco can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea and can interfere with blood clotting. The resulting bleeding can cause anemia. In addition, pau d'arco, when taken by mouth, can interact with aspirin and blood-thinning medications, further increasing the risk of bleeding. It may also increase the risk of bleeding in people with hemophilia or other clotting disorders.

The bark of the tree can sensitize skin and has caused asthma in work settings where people are exposed to the wood dust. Allergic reactions are possible.

Twelve commercial pau d'arco products that were tested in Canada showed that only one contained lapachol, which normally makes up about 7 percent of pau d'arco, suggesting the products likely contained other substances.

The potential interactions between pau d'arco and other drugs and herbs should be considered. Some of these combinations may be dangerous. Always tell your doctor and pharmacist about any herbs you are taking. Relying on this type of treatment alone and avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/c... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/05/09  5:22pm
" This is real good information to know! Thank you VERY MUCH! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/08/09  9:41pm
" GREAT AS A TEA W/HONEY(I WOULD OPEN UP THE CAPSULES! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/08/09  9:43pm
" ANY & ALL HERBS ARE MEDICINE THAT SHOULD ALWAYS BE CHECKED OUT ALONG W/TAKING ANY W/ OTHER MEDICINES! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web