Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
In Category: Treatments
Discussion:
What's the deal with Zofran?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I find that one of the symptoms that I sometimes have to combat is nausea. Many times, I use a few sips of diet Mt. Dew or a couple of peppermints to settle my stomach first and that will help enough, at times. Other times, I'm absolutely miserable b/c of the nausea and nothing but medicine will help. I had some Zofran remaining from when I had morning sickness during my last pregnancy. I had 8 mg. pills that I would break into fourths. When I ran out, I went to my GP and she wanted to run tests to make sure that there wasn't anything more serious going on. So, she had me do a breath test where I blew my breath into a paper bag so that it could be checked for some bacteria/fungus. She also prescribed me aciphex in case it was a result of acid reflux.
Okay, the aciphex was $97 WITH insurance. Didn't get it. When I mentioned to her that I'd just been taking the Zofran on an as needed basis... she seemed taken aback. She says " Well, you can't just take the pills.. .We need to find out what's causing this." I said that I understood but that I've dealt with it for years and found that it was a common issue for those with Fibro. She told me that she would give me "a few more" Zofran pills but told me to take as little as possible, 1/6 or even 1/8 if possible, and to "be careful" with these.
My question is: Is there something that I don't know about Zofran. Is it some kind of controlled substance b/c I get this vibe from her similar to the one that you get when you say that you're in pain and they think you're just pretending...... I just wondered....
Posted on 08/25/12, 09:28 pm
1 Reply Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/26/12  10:19pm
" Zofran which is ondansetron is in a class of medications called serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonists. It works by blocking the action of serotonin, a natural substance that may cause nausea and vomiting.

So my guess since a lot of the newer fibromyalgia medicines such as Cymbalta and Savella work with the serotonin and norepinephrine trying to restore balance of those natural substances in an attempt to reduce pain, is that she is afraid there could be side effects of you taking too much of the zofran.

Not 100% sure what the side effects could be, my guess is if you are on any of those medicines that it may make them less effective. Or if it messes with your current serotonin balance it could possibly increase pain.

There are other nausea meds she could prescribe for you. She could give you phenergan or she could even try to use reglan if she didn't want to give you phenergan if you are on a lot of pain medication. There are other options for nausea zofran is not the only nausea treatment she could try. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web