Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Whooshing Sound in Head?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have a symptom that is basically a "whooshing" sound/feeling in my head. Medically speaking, I believe it is called pulse-syncronous tinnitus from the reading that I've done to find out more about this very unpleasant symptom. This makes sense because I can tell it is like I'm hearing/feeling my pulse inside my head.
Sometimes it gets so bad that I want to hold my head and scream!! It drowns out noises around me and feels like there is so much pressure in my head.
Has anyone else had this one?
Posted on 01/27/09, 06:42 pm
20 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/27/09  6:54pm
" No, sorry, I've never experienced this, but I sure hope you get some relief soon!

HUGS to you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/27/09  7:14pm
" sorry can not help you with that problem. I will pray for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/27/09  7:50pm
" http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intrac...

Pulse-synchronous tinnitus can be an important indicator of chronic IH. It is described as a whooshing, whistling, humming or marching noise heard in one or both ears that is in sync with the pulse. It is also a subjective noise; it can only be heard by the person who experiences it.

This form of tinnitus is caused by high intracranial pressure compressing blood vessels. It often accompanies severe headache and the other symptoms of chronic IH. But it can also happen by itself. In fact, pulse-synchronous tinnitus can be the presenting symptom of the disorder and is recognized as part of the diagnostic criteria for chronic IH.

While pulse-synchronous tinnitus that occurs with chronic IH is not associated with hearing loss, it can be deeply disruptive to daily life and especially, sleep, which in turn can impact the severity of other symptoms.

Lowering intracranial pressure helps to alleviate pulse-synchronous tinnitus. Some have found temporary relief from pulse-synchronous tinnitus by sleeping with their head elevated at a 45-degree angle. Many times, the noise completely and dramatically disappears when intracranial pressure is lowered during a lumbar puncture. But unfortunately, pulse-synchronous tinnitus can return when intracranial pressure becomes elevated again. It also may occur during physical activity or movement that increases the heart rate or increases blood flow.

Sorry I couldn't help but I found this info on the internet "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/27/09  10:14pm
" No, sounds awful. I wonder if something can't be done about it? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/28/09  12:12am
" Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? Have you started taking niacin or B vitamins recently? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/28/09  2:37am
" I have had that...several times ...but have not had the headache that was described...I always thought it had to do with my sinuses or ears ?? where I can clearly hear the Whoooosh Whooosh of the blood going thru mu veins...odd !! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/28/09  3:04am
" I'm with Carrie, I'd suggest getting your BP checked. I've had that sound sometimes and I have high BP. Although I don't feel pressure or have headaches.
Next doctor visit, I suggest you ask your doc. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/28/09  10:53am
" I just discussed this very thing with my Dr. on Monday. My bloood pressure is ok. He really didn't have an answer for it. I also told him I can feel my body "throbbing" with the whooshing, and my head feels like it has unbelieveable pressure in it, behind my eyes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/28/09  12:13pm
" Yep I have had that happen too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/28/09  12:38pm
" Thank you all so much for your replies!
WhiteDolphin, it was so sweet of you to go out of your way and look this up online!! I knew about the Intracranial Hypertension possibility and put it on a list of things to ask the doc about - that was like a year ago. No doc has ever diagnosed me with it or even really discussed it even though I've shown them the list. (Typical!)
You really are a sweetheart! It's so cool that there are people here who would read someone's post and research it to try to get an answer to that person!! I love it here!! :~)
CarrieinSK, I have always had normal bp checks and it doesn't seem to correspond to any supplements I take. Thanks for your ideas! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web