Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Grinding sounds in neck
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does anyone else have this? I have been getting headaches alot more lately than usual. I have this terrible grinding sound when I turn my head to the left and some (but not as bad) when I turn my head to the right. It's painful and of course my neck is very stiff. I had a MRI done 1.5 years ago on m neck that showed osteoarthritis and the neuro said that's what the pain was from. I had facet joint injections (never doing that again) that did not help. The grinding sound is just so.....disturbing to say the least. It sounds like there is rocks or sand being ground up.

Hugs,
Bobbi
Posted on 10/24/08, 10:04 am
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/24/08  10:06am
" have you tried seeing a massage therapist about it? helps me tremendously.... I have the same issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/24/08  10:13am
" here too.. in fact going to ask my doc if i can have a mri on my neck soon.. mine is like sand when i turn it.. I have to use alot of heat or ice pack and icy hot on my neck daily.. I had a xray on it one time yrs ago. and doc said i had arthritis really bad in there .. but that was a long time ago.. also goes into my shoulders.. making them super tight.. i sure can relate.. hugs dear.. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/24/08  10:14am
" Funny thing is (not really funny, but a bit ironic) that because I am in the Xyrem medical study I cannot seek out any relief for the fibro (massage,chiropractics,new exercises) because they want to be sure any and all relief that I get is coming from the Xyrem and not any outside source. BUT.....I have a friend in school for massage therapy and she needed a guinea pig back in late July to practice on and I couldn't do it because of the study. UGH....just my flippin' luck. And also, no medication is allowed other than tylenol. I have been going to the tanning bed 3 times per week, 20 minutes at a time to see if the warmth helps the pain in my back and neck. It certainly feels good when I'm tanning but the only real thing I have received is a tan....LOL. I bought a package with 40 visits so I'll keep doing it and hope for some relief.

Hugs,

Bobbi "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/24/08  10:21am
" I had noise in my neck like potato chips crunching for a long time. My doc said that was a sign of other problems in the spine. Mine ended up being disc problems. An mri showed the problem was in my lower back, even though the noise was in my neck. Here we are a few years and surgeries later, and even though it still reoccurs occasionally, I don't have as much neck pain as I used to. Maybe another mri of your spine would shed some light on what is causing this to happen to you. Hope you can get some help soon! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/24/08  10:34am
" I have had that for years. Done the facet injections and a rhyzotomyI I even had a cervical laminectomy done without any benefit. The only thing that seems to help is my acupuncture and herbs that the acupunturist has me on. It is caused by swelling and irritation in the neck and shoulders. He needles me, uses heat, massage, fire cupping and herbs. it has worked wonders for me.

I hope you find something that works. Gentle hugs... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/24/08  12:37pm
" "bump" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/24/08  1:21pm
" Hey hun,

I had grinding sounds in my wrist. I had an inflamed tendon that kept rubbing against a bone spur/ chip thingy. I had surgery to correct it.

Now, it's just a mild grinding.

Have your docs look into it more....especially if it's causing you more pain and getting more profound. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/24/08  1:35pm
" I know it's very bothersome. I have that too with headaches. I snap, crackle, pop alover. I think mine is due to arthritis though. Hope you find an answer soon.
Hugs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/24/08  4:35pm
" Yes, I have the crackling, grinding sounds in my neck. It usually isn't too sore, just stiff and irritating. I also, snap, crackle and pop all over too.

Massage and heat help. Can you use a heating pad? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/24/08  5:32pm
" Thank you all very much for your responses. It's just very strange when you're the only one that hears these things and then try to describe them to someone. My DH looks at me like I have two heads when I tell him the rocks are moving around in my neck...LOL. When I had the MRI on my neck 1.5 years ago they also did one on my lower back and found a problem with my L4-L5. They said it was severe arthritis. I have never had a problem with my middle back until this last week. It has really been bothering me so I guess I need to have it checked out :( I will ask my doc about the progression in my neck since the headaches seem to be coming closing together. And I can use any kind of heat therapy that I need. But that's about all I can do during the study......gggggrrrrrr.

Thank again everyone :)

Bobbi "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web