Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Donating Blood or Plasma
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What do you know or think about FMS patients being able to donate blood or plasma?
Posted on 06/20/08, 10:15 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/20/08  10:23pm
" I'm the Red Cross coordinator of blood drive volunteers for my county. I've given blood many times. The only time I've been rejected is when my iron is too low. I don't think they'd reject you because you have fibromyalgia.

On the other hand, you need to know that when you give blood, you will feel tired afterward. If you're already bone tired and exhausted, it wouldn't be a good idea to donate blood. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/20/08  10:25pm
" I agree with Aberlaine. Careful if it's around your period. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/21/08  12:05am
" here is a comment about this in 1969 my husband gave blood for my sisterinlaw . less than a year later he started getting sick .he was sick and getting sicker all time they thought he had tb but test was negtive . i finally got the telephone no of a good lung speclist took it to family dr told him to get appnt with him. and took him there he had histoplasmosis. .and almost died . and did im sure shortened his life and made him sick for the rest of his life . and im almost sure thats why it made him sick because you get the germ of that and your immune system gets run down then it gets active on some people.gg "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/21/08  12:29am
" I can't see why it would be a problem - most of us have given plenty of blood during a gazillion blood tests, lol.

It would only be if you had some disease that could be transferred I guess? and some may be fatiged. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/21/08  10:27am
" I have donated blood, plasma and platelets (sp) many times over the years. I have been turned down a couple of times for low iron and because of some medications. Afterwards, I am very tired and if I have been in a flare, the flare seems to be a little worse. But I always felt that whoever it was that needed these fluids was probably in worse shape.

If you are thinking about donating, why not just call the local center and ask if your conditons or medications would interfere?

Let us know what you find out...
~K "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/21/08  4:34pm
" My thanks to those who have responded so far. You have offered some valuable advice and I appreciate you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/21/08  4:43pm
" My apologies for ending up posting this question twice! But check out the responses from both because opinions do vary considerably. The concerns expressed here about worrying that I'd add problems to the person receiving it has kept me from donating since my diagnoses. If it were me....well, I guess I'd rather risk getting fibro than to be dead. CAN someone "catch" fibro through blood? Will donating be the last straw for someone already chronically fatigued? I do not have the answers yet. I value everyone's opinions and info and will also share anything else I find out. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/21/08  5:14pm
" I do not think you should donate blood. I think it is irresponsible for us to donate our blood. There is no definitive cause for Fibro yet, so it is possible that it is in our blood.

The medical community does not know that it is NOT in our blood, nor do they know if it IS in our blood.

Don't do it "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/21/08  5:36pm
" I would love to continue to donate, but I've decided to stop. I have been a blood donor for years, but each time I donated they would have to put my feet above my head and ice under my neck, along with a bag for me to breathe into.

None of this has anything to do with fibro - it's just the way I respond to blood and needles. If it wasn't for my feeling like I'm taking up too many resources I'd still do it, but it takes 2-3 nurses to handle me when I go down.

Needless to say I'm not a fun patient any time it involves needles or blood :) I had the same reaction when hubby was in the ER and they were sticking needles in HIM - I ended up on the gurney next to him with the ice packs, feet up, etc etc etc. I'm just too much trouble. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/22/08  4:06am
" They don't know what causes fibro so I don't think its a good idea to give blood. First you have to think about the impact it will have on you and then the impact it may have on the person receiving your blood. You can however donate blood to yourself prior to going into surgery in case it's needed. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web