Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
are boils part of fibro?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I get boils all the time. Does anyone know if this is part of fibro or something else? And if it is something else any ideas what they are from? And how do you get rid of them?
Thanks ahead of time,
Kathy
Posted on 04/01/08, 07:21 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/01/08  7:23pm
" Defintly not a part of fibro.Im sorry honey sounds painful.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/01/08  7:28pm
" I have never had a boil...had a male friend once tho that went thru that...was very painful, and I can no longer remember what he used for them...

I pulled this off a Med site...

What is the treatment for a boil?

Most simple boils can be treated at home. Ideally, the treatment should begin as soon as a boil is noticed since early treatment may prevent later complications.

The primary treatment for most boils is heat application, usually with hot soaks or hot packs. Heat application increases the circulation to the area and allows the body to better fight off the infection by bringing antibodies and white blood cells to the site of infection.

As long as the boil is small and firm, opening the area and draining the boil is not helpful, even if the area is painful. However, once the boil becomes soft or "forms a head" (that is, a small pustule is noted in the boil), it can be ready to drain. Once drained, pain relief can be dramatic. Most small boils, such as those that form around hairs, drain on their own with soaking. On occasion, and especially with larger boils, the larger boil will need to be drained or "lanced" by a health-care practitioner. Frequently, these larger boils contain several pockets of pus that must be opened and drained.

Antibiotics are often used to eliminate the accompanying bacterial infection. Especially if there is an infection of the surrounding skin, the doctor often prescribes antibiotics. However, antibiotics are not needed in every situation. In fact, antibiotics have difficulty penetrating the outer wall of an abscess well and often will not cure an abscess without additional surgical drainage.

Hope it helps you some !! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/01/08  7:32pm
" warm cloths, icthamol (sp?) ointment which is an old fashion product that the pharmacy may have behind the counter but OTC product. call MD if it doesn't get better because the infection can travel and they can give you antibiotics to prevent it from happening. Good luck, I know how painful these can be. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/01/08  7:32pm
" Hiya Kathy

Am hearing you I devloped a Abcess on my Butt in a very delicate spot quiet some weeks ago..Very painful things ..treatment was buying some MAGNOPLASM at the Chemist to draw it out and it evbentually burst and I also used heat packs in bed of a night time ...it eventually came to a head and I got my daughter to stick a pin in it and it burst.....

Otherwise if it dosent burst treatment is to go to a Doctor to have it Lanced open...

Goodluck Gayle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/01/08  8:20pm
" I used to use icthamol ointment all the time when I was a kid for zits! It pulls out all the bad stuff. Some people call it black save too. Last time I saw it, it was called draw out ointment. In case you want to try that one! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/01/08  8:57pm
" thx everyone for all your advice. Does anyone know what causes them? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/01/08  9:05pm
" I've had them - I don't think its a fibro thing - for me, I seemed to get them at the change of the seasons - weird, huh? And I think stress played a part too. Good luck sweetie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/01/08  9:20pm
" since im a old lady here is home remedys. egg whites and salt mixture. cut white potato scrape and put on boil "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/01/08  9:23pm
" I have heard of the potatoe thing for warts but didn't know it was suppose to work on boils also. Thx "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web