Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
TMJ
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi all. I'm new here and to Fibro and I have a question about TMJ. I know that it is a syndrome that can go along with Fibro but I am thinking I may have it. I'm not sure though because my symptoms aren't classic.

I am having pain in my lower jaw near the front of my mouth. My teeth there feel like a sharp pain is going through them sometimes. Sometimes my whole left side of my face hurts but not always and the joint hurts sometimes but not all the time. I went to a dentist and he said he could find nothing wrong with my teeth. He told me to rest my jaw and if it is TMJ that the pain should go away within 3 days if I rested. So I did that and the pain got worse. I had to take a vicatin yesterday because it was so bad. The pain seems to be staying away except for the pain in the front of my jaw but at least it is back to a dull ache.

I was just wondering if any of you that have TMJ have pain in the lower jaw without pain in the joint? Or if my symptoms sound like TMJ.

Thanks!
Posted on 02/20/08, 05:04 am
17 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/20/08  5:13am
" Sounds like TMJ to me. I had TMJ for years and the pain was all over, and the jaw would sometimes lock as well. One day, I told my myotherapist (muscle masseur who also did acupuncture) about it, and she did acupuncture 2 weeks running on my jaw (always only the left side) and voila, one thing I haven't had to worry about since! That was 10 years ago. I couldn't believe it.

I now have neuralgia on my left side, from my eye to my jaw, but it's sporadic. I had to have it checked out by my ENT guy to make sure it wasn't part of my sinus issues since I had surgery last year. He said, nope, it's the Fibro (he believes in it!) giving me nerve flares. He had me take small doses (10mg) of Endep (Elavil in the U.S.) for a couple of weeks, and it calmed down. But it still pops up now and then.

You might want to try acupuncture and see how it helps. Oh, and no, it didn't hurt having it done. :-)

Also, putting a heat pack or hot water bottle on it when it hurt helped me. We're all different with what works. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/20/08  5:51am
" I get mine all over the sides of my face near any muscles. I've never had my front teeth hurt due to tmj. I have no idea if that's related. I use heat to feel better. I hope you pain subsides. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/20/08  5:55am
" Google Trigeminal Neuralgia...
does the pain come...get real intense...go away...and then come back ?

I suffer from that, tho at first I was diagnosed with a soft tissue infection, then TMJ...and FINALLY they really started to LISTEN to what I was saying...it is like severe toothache in every tooth on ONE side of your face...comes and goes...can effect Just the jaw, or include the Sinus cavity..and/OR above the eye...Look into it...see if those symptoms may sound a bit more familiar to you ! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/20/08  5:59am
" I googled this for ya, but I guess it is just kind of a repeat of what I just said....

Trigeminal neuralgia, caused by pressure on the trigeminal nerve, results in sudden, severe, painful, stabbing or electric-like shock in the face. The trigeminal nerve has three sections, which affect the forehead and eye region, the cheek, and the jaw, respectively. Pain can be triggered by laughing, chewing, brushing teeth, talking, wind, or facial touching. It can occur in one or all areas, usually begins on one side of the face, and in about 5 percent of patients affects both sides. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/20/08  9:45am
" I would aagree that your symptoms do not sound "typical" but then again I have found that no conditions with FM present in the typical manner.
Have you seen a TMJ specailist? That is where I would start. The other thing that you can try on your own to give you some short term relief is a mouth gaurd. They have those ones for sports that you boil and bite into so it forms around your teeth. This might help you relax those facial muscles. go on a soft diet for a few days and avoid excessive chewing.
Ihope this helps

Carrie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/20/08  9:52am
" I get facial pains all the time. needles and pins in my chin, lips numb. jaw hurts (which also is a symptom of GERD acid reflux) Sometimes I have a sharp pain in my chin that goes to my cheekbone. But I am sure its all from a bad accident I was in crushing my cheekbones and breaking my jaws. I get shart little headaches that come and go, Could be from my neck also. arthritis I just think if its constant and never eases up then its something they can do something about, but mine wanes.So could be TMJ or GERD or FIBRO. I know working on my posture helped with the burning between my shoulder blades while sitting the pc.and other pains in my chest. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/20/08  10:08am
" I would think that TMJ pain would be on both sides of your face. I know I clench my jaws, and sometimes they can get 'locked' or 'pop'. I get alot of pain from the clenching, in fact my face hurts right now. But, it's along the jaw joint on both sides of the face, from the top part of my mouth all the way up the jaw bone to my ears almost.

I could be wrong though, I don't know alot about TMJ, despite having it myself. I just always thought it was on both sides, not just one. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/21/08  6:27am
" Bump "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/21/08  6:34am
" Thank you all for your help. I am going to get into another Dentist as soon as my insurance kicks in. Hopefully in a few days. I'm really confused as to what is going on because the pain was completely gone yesterday and then I got really stressed last night and the pain returned. Hopefully the dentist will shed some light on it.

And Dakota Rose, I looked into that Trigeminal Neuralgia but it isn't a sharp pain that only last for a few seconds at a time. Thank you for the help though! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/21/08  6:40am
" TN can last anywhere from a few seconds to prolly half hour at a time...just a come and go pain...no set time on it !! I usually have the pain about 10 minutes or so at a time, goes away fro a bit, comes right back...Just wanted to Clarify that point .. not sure what site you looked on...take care hon !! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web