Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Fibro Questions & Anxiety
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am new to the group......I have both severe fibro and severe anxiety. I have become pretty much totally disabled and I was a competitive athlete and my husband and I did 100 mile bike races and marathons. Before this all started in 2007 I lived in the gym or in outdoor activities. Now I hardly leave the house.

I am new here so a couple of questions: do others with fibro also have severe anxiety

Does fibro cause stiff muscles - when I stand up I can hardly move, I am all bent over like a 90 year old woman and so stiff.

Do you ever feel really sick with fibro - like the worst case of flu. Some days I am so sick I can hardly walk room to room
Posted on 05/21/12, 09:30 am
32 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/21/12  9:54am
" Hi! I got thrown into fibro after a bad hysterectomy! And yes you muscles tighten up. and you get stabbing pains and spazms for absolutel no reason. And I for one have thesevere anxiety, because I've been on SSDI since 2004. Put on it by the doctors that did the 2 repairs from the hysterectomy. NOT MY OWN CHOICE!! Hang in ther and do some reading. There is alot of help on this site. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/21/12  10:23am
" Welcome to the group Oregon,

While some people have anxiety with fibro, it is not common to everyone with fibro. I can not remember the specific term, but basically anxiety can be a companion to fibro, but not a definite cause or result of fibro

Yes many feel as though they have a severe flu. This can come and go from time to time

Fibro can cause stiff muscles like you said, so I would suggest stretching and keep moving. The more you move the more you will be able to move

Good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/21/12  10:44am
" Yes, I have problems with anxiety which sometimes goes into a full blown panic attack. Anxiety and Fibromyalgia is not uncommon.

Yes, Fibromyalgia (FMS) causes stiff muscles. I find that I am worse in the morning when I first get up or in the evening. God forbid I should take a nap because I'll be stiff after that too. The important thing is to keep moving.

The flu-like feeling that you describe is also a common complaint. I have days like you describe too.

I'd like to suggest that you consider purchasing a book called "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." Like all of the dummies series, it contains easy to understand information. It will give you a comphrensive overview of this nasty syndrome and how to manage it. You can purchase the book online at Amazon. Knowledge is power.

I hope that my comments are helpful to you so you don't feel so alone. Welcome to the group! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/21/12  1:14pm
" Hi,

Oh yes the flu like symptoms can be terrible. I get it like the worst body aches/flu ever. Which makes me want to lay down with my heating pads, which makes me super stiff when I move. For awhile I had to use a cane, that was awful, it really deepened my depression. It did get better though. I just move as much as I can.

Yes I have anxiety too, I hardly go out either and it's getting harder and harder to leave the house. I'm working on it though.

Hang in there "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/21/12  1:17pm
" Hi and welcome,

Like the others, Anxiety is a tag a long to fibro for me and stiffness is just a part of my life. I don't get much of the flu like feeling, but welcome and read on!!! You'll find great people and a wealth of info here. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/21/12  1:23pm
" I totally have anxiety with fibro. I have hashimotos (thyroid disease and it can cause anxiety, too)...Maybe I have double the anxiety?! I had to start taking meds for this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/21/12  2:29pm
" Welcome to the group Oregon!
I hope you find friends,information and support here!I do have anxiety and take valium for it and for severe muscle spasms.It's crazy because I use to work with the public in a very social way and it is so strange to deal with this.As D said,it can be a symptom but not for everyone.Remember Tim Conway of the Carrol Burnrtte Show?When he played the old guy shuffeling across the room calling his secretary Mrs.Wiggins??Well I look like him in the mornings,LOL!I also get the waves of hot and cold,like a fever.Sometime it helps to just lay down for an hour.So sorry you have to deal with Fibro but you've come to a good place!(((HUGS))) Tori "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/21/12  5:07pm
" Welcome, and if you do gentle stretches of all body parts it helps some physio say do it in the shower as it helps loosen you up. If you have a warm pool near you do gentle aerobic stretches for arthritis in a group it helps too! Get a good Doc who can prescribe the right meds or ask for a Pain Clinic referral. xxxoo's Get informed and read some books on it plus there are fm info sites on the internet too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/21/12  6:47pm
" WELCOME, I HAVE ALL OF THE ABOVE AND BAD ANXIETY AND LIVE ON XANX, SO WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU ASK ANY THING YOU LIKE AND ONE OF US WILL HAVE ANSWERS,HUGS, SQUARLEY "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/21/12  7:00pm
" Xanax can be addicting and dangerous, how can you live on it?

x "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web