Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
swollen sensation in hands & feet
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I just ran across a list of fibromyalgia symptoms and one of them, the sensation of swelling in hands & feet, without any actual swelling, was a good description of something that I've experienced from time to time, but was never able to put into words. It happens very infrequently, maybe every few months, but has been around for probably at least two decades.

Usually occuring in the evening or early morning, it feels like my hands and/or feet are larger than normal. There's no pain, like might come from skin being stretched because of actual swelling, instead it's kind of like there's an outer, invisible skin that can't be seen or touched, but is the outer boundary of the "swollen" extremity. It's there, but objects can pass through it to touch the real skin (which can feel that touch).

The perpetual tiredness, being not well-rested after sleep, poor memory & concentration, those are all present, too. But that sensation of swelling, that's so unusual and specific that I now wonder whether I'm dealing with fibromyalgia.

Would anyone else like to describe what the swollen sensation feels like to them? I may be completely off base: this tiredness & mental fog has been going on for so long, I don't know what to do.
Posted on 12/07/11, 12:58 pm
20 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/07/11  1:28pm
" I've never had that particular issue but hopefully someone can shed some light on it for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/07/11  3:29pm
" Sorry I never had it either "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/07/11  5:27pm
" I TOTALLY HAVE THAT! I have it right now, as I type, in my fingers. I find myself flexing my fingers a lot to try to...loosen? them up. It's like they feel tight and stiff - as if there's extra fluid in them - but they look normal. Crazy. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/07/11  6:12pm
" I do get that feeling in my hands and feet. Feels like I have puffy hands and feet - and sometimes a very tight, swollen feeling. However, my hands and feet look normal. Now I do get actual swelling if I'm on my feet for long periods of time. But yes, this is different. It feels like I can't bend my fingers and my hands and feet feel stiff. I take Lyrica and it helps, but not always. My fibro flairs up in extreme hot and extreme cold weather. I have anxiety and take klonopin - that has helped me to sleep thank goodness. I was in the same boat - couldn't sleep and it hurt my body to lie down for more than a few hours. Yes, and the mental fog - have that problem too. it is better though, but not 100%. My MD wanted to rule out rheumotoid arthritis first - test came back negative. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/07/11  6:50pm
" your not alone I get this to it's crazy.. cause you feel swollen but there is no swelling. enough to make ya wonder if your going nutty or what!! lol... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/07/11  7:08pm
" I definitely get that in my hands. I think they are swollen but only slightly so it's not that obvious to anyone else. I am always asking my friends, "Look at my hands. Do they look swollen to you?" I guess I just want someone to verify the swelling so that I know it's not just in my head. But I know it's not. They are sometimes slightly swollen around the knuckles to the finger joint.

Because of this one symptom, I always wonder if something else is wrong besides the fibro. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/07/11  9:01pm
" Thank you all for your responses! It's so good to find that I'm not the only one with this strange feeling. I've always thought that it had something to do with my epilepsy (and maybe it does), but it keeps happening even though medication controls the seizures completely.

Very strange, but at least I know I'm not crazy! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/08/11  12:44am
" My hands often feel swollen but they don't look it and it is hard to grasp things at times or to make a fist. It is always both of my hands and never just one of them.
However, I do have fibro and it happens more frequently when it is hot and/or humid.
My doctor checked me for rheumatoid arthritis and it came back negative, so it is the fibro for me.
If you haven't already, suggest seeing Rheumatologist to figure out what it is going on. Fatigue and pain on both sides of the body are the hallmarks of fibromyalgia, but again a Rheumatologist would be the one to diagnose the problem. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/08/11  1:53am
" I have this too, in both my hands and feet. the feeling of inflammation is close to my toes, on the bottom of my feet, as was mentioned earlier, it feels like the toes and hands can't bend much. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/08/11  3:34am
" I do get swelling in my hands and fingers when I am standing and walking. My hands feel hot and the skin feels stretched. I don't know why they do that. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web