Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
My doctor doesn't "believe" in Fibromyalgia
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My primary care doctor doesn't "believe" in Fibromyalgia. But I've been in chronic pain for YEARS, have almost every text-book symptom of FM, and have been through numerous pain-killers. I also have Crohn's Disease, vasculitis and drug-induced Lupus. Any suggestions?
Posted on 12/05/08, 04:06 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Fibromyalgia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 12/11/08  10:16am
" Find a new DR as quickly as possible! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 12/11/08  10:29am
" Actually, this could work in your favour. I'm all for keeping this doctor...he won't put everything down to Fibro and will treat your chronic pain symptoms. I'm going to try an Endocrinologist next, maybe that will help you too?

Not once has my doc talked about fibro in 5 visits. He runs a Fibromyalgia and chronic pain support group too. We have to treat every symptom of Fibromyalgia. I think I've become a little desensitized at doctors having to know everything about this illness. It's more important that they TREAT my symptoms and help me than to believe or not believe. That will come in time when we find that convincing test.

List everything. Ask about everything. Get tested and retested for everything. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 01/07/09  6:14pm
" Punch your doctor in the face. If his nose starts bleeding, tell him that you dont 'believe' his nose is bleeding.

LOL.. Can you tell I have heard this crap before? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 01/07/09  6:25pm
" Oh Sweetie....this is a difficult one.

Have you asked him why he doesn't believe in Fibro? Is it because he belives that there is something there, but he just doesn't know what it is? If he has given you pain meds, then what for?

Here's the deal with Fibro, we don't know why, and sometimes even when or what for....but we do have Fibro. Some docs call it a waste basket dx. Some actually study up on it. It's either all or nothing it seem like.

But the bottom line is that there is no cure for it. So that leaves us with having to "treat the symptoms".

This almost angers me (with out hearing more about the doc) as to him not believing in Fibro. The medical community has pushed us into this corner of figuring a lot of this out on our own.

I understand your loyalty to this doctor, but maybe you can pry open his brain some and learn why. It'll make you respect him even more.
Just the same as a good family doc who is great for many of things, but if you have cancer, he can not treat it. He would have to refer you to an oncologist.
He may not believe in Fibro, heck, he may not even believe in cancer, but he does need to stop ignoring you on this subject. Make him prove otherwise.

Good luck to you, and No sweetie, you are not going crazy, loosing your mind or anything else. No one quite understands like we do. That's why we are here. Welcome home hun! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 01/07/09  6:27pm
" simply get another Dr.
First question to new Dr. do you believe in and Treat Fibromyalgia...if the answer is No, get up and walk out, right then. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web